Page screen with mouse

Sounds stupid.. but with previous VWorks versions we were able to move around our working area by stretching a line, Dim- tool, poly-line, etc. past our viewable area... thereby " paging or scrolling in any direction for reasons of projecting lines from one part of our drawing to another... Make sense ?

Also, our " scroll " button on our mouse is ineffective in this same way...

thanks for your help.

Yep, this was changed in version 9.

VectorWorks 9 is a lot more sensitive about automatically scrolling because we were getting complaints that it would scroll when moving to a pallet or menu command.

Now VectorWorks will only automatically scroll when you are right on that edge. To supplement this ability, you can use the boomerang pan tool to move around your page.

To use it, press and hold the space bar when using another tool. It should switch you to the pan tool so you can click and drag the page at will. When you release the space bar, the previous tool should pick up where you left off.

As for the mouse wheel features? Those are taking a vacation and will be back in the near future.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

I use the auto-pan feature a lot when drawing, but hitting a 4 pixel wide drawing edge is too tedious for me to call it an improvement. Would it be too much to ask for a preference to control how the document behaves? It is really irksome to see old features disappear as the software "progresses". After 12 years of living with your software I don't want to see ANY of the old features retired. I don't mind new features, but I would like a choice as to whether or not I will adopt them over the old tried and true features I have grown to love.

Thank you,Raymond Mullin

PLC, You are right, I do know about the arrow keys, but it is not the same and requires that I move a hand to an inconvenient area of the keyboard. I find the old style of panning very comfortable as I keep one hand on the mouse and the other on the left side of the keyboard. I draw and edit LOTS of polygons and change constraints often as I draw, so moving either hand is a major impediment to my work flow. I can pan with just the flick of the wrist. Trying to place the cursor on the drawing window edge is MUCH slower. Also, the pan distance is different for the arrow keys and dragging off the screen. I like that feature too. I think a preference would be aptly suitable here. RJM