VW2012 crashing

roshob

I think i am about to cry!

i have the new VW 2012 installed about three weeks ago now. it has corrupted nearly all of my drawings both old and new. i have probably lost about two weeks of work in total. i am so angry right now .. who's going to pay for loss of earnings.. certainly not the client and a team of architects waiting on my work! its ridiculous.

the only thing i can think of is that it cant cope with external referenced view ports because that is the only complex item in my drawings.

symptoms -

VW crashes and then when i re-open the file, it has places random items on random classes and coloured them black both in outline and in fill. the document then continues to crash regularly leaving me with a document that is in my opinion unusable and quite frankly a waste of time trying to save the work as any new document i create ultimately ends up the same way.

can someone please help me as this simply cannot go on..

I really have not noticed any issues with corrupted files on 2012. It may be externally ref'ed VP or something else in how the files are put together. I do not believe it is a hardware problem, however I have noticed that when I installed more ram I had less issues with corrupted files. Check to see how many programs you are running at once with VW, maybe you should upgrade memory. As you see our computers are close to the same specs. Run Apple Activity Monitor and see whats eating the juice.

Hope this helps.

Have looked into activity and there is plenty of RAM available, VW is the only application running. Having looked at the console logs I can see that the program is crashing in the Vector Works Memory Management "com.yourcompany.VWMM 0x0778bc58 VWMM::Partition::Deallocate(void*) + 44". This has become very frustrating now. Hardware checks have been performed and all diagnostics pass with flying colours. Did a filesystem check and that is clean. Can anyone shed any light on this? Might have to go back to 2011. Can someone from VW please get back to me to assist with this disaster.

Hi Guys,

The referenced VP is just a vector works drawing so not sure what the issue may be there, however the ref VP originated as VW2011.. may be connected i don't know.

i have found that mixing CAD and VW is a bad idea but sometimes it cant be helped as Architects only use Auto CAD unfortunately.. I had copied and pasted what was a cad detail (very basic one i hasten to add) into the drawing which might have added to the problem, but all these things i did on a daily basis in VW11 so its not exactly technical heavy stuff.

I should also add that everything in the corrupt file lost its identity if you will.. all call out text boxes when highlighted had no edit ability, even the object info box had no idea what the item was. Same with dimensions etc.

i just don't get it.. soooo frustrating..