Frequent Crashing w/o Cause VW2012

Tom Klaber

We updated to 2012 last week. I have made sure everybody has installed SP1 - but we are experiencing frequent crashes. The weirdest thing is that they do not seem to be associated with any action. A few times now I have crashed when I have not been doing anything at all. Other times is happens simply when I switch windows. This is leading me to believe it might have something to do with the autosaving.

Is anybody else having issues?

Edited by Tom Klaber

I have experienced numerous "unexpected" (DUH!) crashes in 2012, all seemingly when using Open GL and sometimes Open GL Flyovers... In my case I suspect it is video card related, but so far I can't pin it down. It is true that VW's 2012 uses the video card much more than previous versions. My card has 512mb, and I wish it had about 4 times that much... Ah, maybe my next machine...

I have experienced numerous "unexpected" (DUH!) crashes in 2012, all seemingly when using Open GL and sometimes Open GL Flyovers... In my case I suspect it is video card related, but so far I can't pin it down. It is true that VW's 2012 uses the video card much more than previous versions. My card has 512mb, and I wish it had about 4 times that much... Ah, maybe my next machine...

You can't buy better card and replace the old one?

I really don't think it's the video card because I have dual card which mean three times the handling capability, but it still crashes when push come to shove! However, every bit of extra money and power you can put on the machine would help. Quite frankly, I don't think the technology is up to par for what we do. We are so abusive when it comes to power. I worked on 3ds modeling and rendering a lot, so I know. Don't believe advice from engineer and or computer tech that say: "you are buying a Ferrari, but only drive 25mph." In that analogy, I am buying the fastest car and blew up the engine on OD all the time if I am not careful.

Back to the point of avoiding crashes. BE PATIENT WITH VW... PLEASE!!! It saves you a lot of times and headache in the long run. "WHENEVER YOU SEND A COMMAND OR PERFORMING A TASK, AND VW IS CACULATING, DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING ELSE... JUST WAIT... BECAUSE WHEN YOU CLICK SOMETHING ELSE, VW CRASHES". It happens every time. I am learning it the hard way, but I am learning... The amount of crashes I have reduced from about once every hours in a course of eight hours working session to almost "once in a full moon" when I learned to control my level of anger and impatient... LOL...It does save time in the long run w/o crash. One more thing, VW seems to like the MAC platform better for some reason.

We too are having numerous crashes in VW2012 SP2. Much more than 2008. We are working on migrated 2008 files which will be very time consuming for us to change. Any other ideas...? I have lowered my undos as well. It seems to happen more often when editing symbols/wall types etc from the resource browser. Very annoying at the moment.

Thanks

Richie

Me too. About 5 crashes already today and at least 2 per day since I started working in 3D. Actually, working in 3D in VW is pretty disappointing so far. Is it really true that you have to buy Renderworks to get a usable shaded view that you can usefully work in? Also what's up with the weird 3D selection problems; it almost never selects the thing thats nearest to you, always something behind that you can't see which you weren't trying to hit. And the UI in VW is constantly flickering with little messages and things that highlight as you move the mouse around over the model, it's manageable in 2D but in 3D it picks up everything and makes me feel like having an epileptic fit. Is anyone else having problems with VW12 and 3D stuff? I'm using a site model and I wonder if it's too much for VW. Maybe I should cut and run and start using iRhino instead? What have others experienced? Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant, it's after midnight now and I want to go to bed...

I have found the selection process much improved. The auto-highlighting - which is an option you can turn off - is a feature I find decreases the amount of miss-selections. You can also change the amount of time you have to hover on an object before the pre-selection indication appears. Even changing that to an 1/8th of second means objects will not pre-select as your mouse simply passes over them. Check out the options in VW preferences - interactive preferences - you should be able to modify the behavior to your liking.

There is also a new Rhino inspired feature that when your mouse is over multiple objects a * appears. If you hold down the Cntrl key or right click - a list appears allowing you to select the desired object.

Edited by Tom Klaber
  • 2 weeks later...