how to get a frost glass?

the frog

Hello

Anyone has an idea to make a frost window?

I need to be frosted so I can?t see in the back but? I have 2 fluo lights, one just behind the other 3 feet away. I can?t find a way to have the light spreading through the glass, to see the first fluo slightly frosted and the second one invisible but with the right photometry seen on the glass. Of course my view is facing the lights!

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/images/icons/default/lightbulb.gif

Thank you for the fast answer

Yes I have tried them all. I have built some of my own. Being more specific if I get glass transparency down (80%) the light going out is too dimed (the glass is not going all the way down). So you see too much of a difference between the light trough the glass and the straight one. If I use retro lighting 100% or more with transparency at 98% it frosts but I don?t hide enough and I am losing the fluo colors (RVB); so I added some noise playing with the scales. Then I got a mushy glass without a good reverberation.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Just a thought... Have you tried employing a light that does not cast shadows for the light that needs to pass through the glass?

It will then ignore the glass altogether.

I am sure you've probably tried this as it sounds like you have had a detailed go at this... but might be worth a try.

What I am trying is to get the effect of a light through Corian?. I have 6 and 12mm thickness.

Using the absorption distance solves the thickness between materials. Yes I tried the noise but the result is ugly. If I take out the shadow then I don?t see the difference where the material is and is not and more I lose all my shadows made by the light.

Still searching an answer if you want to try, the best texture is

_ material ?color? white 100%

_ reflection ?back lighting? color grey 30% ; intensity 1000 ; reflection 80

transparency ?glass? transmission 98 ; refraction 1,5

you can use in the back, a fluo 60in F60T8 4100K 55W available in the library. And modify the color to see better.

Hope the settings are the same in all the versions

PS I use Vw 2011 French version on Mac

How much light will actually make it through 6 or 12 mm of Corian? I'm sure that, with enough lumens behind it, you can get it to glow but I can't imagine that much light would actually make it through.

Do you have any images of the effect in real life?

Do you have any test images that you could share?

I did a quick study, using the texture that came with one of the "Accurate Lamps" that comes with VW. That texture simply uses a "Backlit" reflectivity shader. If you apply that texture to another object, the object glows but not much light is cast into the room - most of it is absorbed by the material. See attachments.

I think the solution is found

Yes using the bulb texture is fine (sometime the simpler is the faster), but it?s not enough. I had to duplicate the rectangle and apply the glass texture to find back my shadows of the rectangle. Two images for you, to visualize. The next step is to change the structure of the fluo lamp to get the right kind of shadow on the side of the wall (the tube is 60in so the shadow shouldn?t be sharp.

I will then explore the way to modify the structure of the frostin the script

ex

NewField('NNAMaxon Glass Transparency','Family','3',1,0);

SetObjectVariableBoolean(GetObject('NNAMaxon Glass Transparency'),900,FALSE);

NewField('NNAMaxon Glass Transparency','Prototype','13',1,0);

NewField('NNAMaxon Glass Transparency','Version','1',1,0);

NewField('NNAMaxon Glass Transparency','Transmission (%)','0.94999999',3,0);

NewField('NNAMaxon Glass Transparency','Index of Refraction','1.5',3,0);