importing text into vw

we have been unable to import text from word, pagemaker or photoshop into a vw8 file & have it remain formatted correctly. any suggestions? is there anyway to force justify text in vw8 or set up columns to add text?

• 2 months later...

A quick and quite wonderful way, that brings all formatting and content, almost exactly as you type it is between Word and VW. I've only tested this in VW 9.5.x for the Mac so other versions and OSes I can't vouch for, is type your document in Word, using the fonts and indenting, formatting, bolding whatever floats your aesthetic boat. Select it all and copy it. Now here is the tricky part, go to VW and DO NOT use Paste or Paste in place, rather use Paste as Picture.

A couple of caveats?as always. No you can't edit the text in VW, so any change no matter how large or small has to be a replacement job. i.e. open the doc in word again (you didn't toss it in mad midnight house keeping did you?) make the change and paste it and reposition it.

Other than that is is a slick attractive way to not use the (sorry in advance to the valiant NNA tech support people) almost completely anemic practically useless spreadsheet and text formatting tools in VW.

I forgot to mention that it also works with Excel documents as well.

happy typing.

I actually used almost the same idea after I posted my question.

But I didn't realize you could paste as a picture which would have saved me some time.

Time I spent converting my word document to an eps file which I then opened in Adobe and after reducing the image resolution and size, resaved it as a grayscale bitmap of bit depth 4 and imported it in Vectorworks as an image .

Whew, I laugh now reading your posting but I was crying last night.

actually I am crying again now realizing life is too short to have wasted all that time

I digress

thanks

Hi Joe,

For me ?on a Mac OS X 10.1.5 VWA 9.5.2 Word 10 (v.X)? All the formatting I've done carries through flawlessly. I think I set my margins a 1/2" narrower than what I want the end result to be, and I get font changes bolding, indents.

I'd like to know what other people's results are like. I like the paste as picture as it doesn't balloon the file size the way the EPS imports do

All we ever do in our office is import text as EPS, and we have no trouble with file size. For example, we do our general notes sheet as an EPS import. It is a full 24"x 36" six column page of text at 10 point text size and the VW 9 file size is 192 K.

If your EPS import is ballooning your file size it may be because you have "Include Fonts" set to "All" when you create the EPS. Since we do all our plotting in-house we set the font inclusion to "None". The font inclusion setting in the print dialog makes a huge difference in the file size.

From a technical standpoint, importing the text as an EPS file should be a lot more space efficient than importing it as an image. (Assuming that you didn't put a raster preview on the EPS to begin with)

Also, the EPS graphic will print out at full resolution on a Postscript printer.

Yes, we are working on better native text formatting.

Matthew GiampapaNemetschek Technical Support

Our problem with size is indeed the font inclusion, as we only print one-ofs and emergency sets in house, and the vast majority through a service bureau. I have found the Paste as Picture command to not increase file size as dramatically as an import of a pict or tiff.