licence question

I do design work for other too and its always under their 'banner'. But the design work is always undertaken with VW installed on my equipment.

The only potential problem that I see is if you installed VW on their machines. You would need to ensure that you kept within the licence count and could guarantee that no one else used your license. I think with the dongle version it would have been enough to ensure this, but non dongled machines, its probably a grey area.

I design for my own firm. But if I started to work for another firm could I use my VW licence to create drawings under their banner.

Johnt

What kind of contract/license breach do you think you would be commiting?

As long as you keep to the license agreements (ie. 1 license = 1 user/workstation operational at one time) I don't think it matters who uses it or for what.....

1.3 License Agreement (Series B)

If this copy of Vectorworks is issued with a serial number that begins with the letter "B" and includes a hardware key (dongle), you may install the software on multiple computers, but only one copy may be in use at a time, and the computer on which the software is being used must have the Nemetschek hardware key connected.

1.4 Site License Agreement (Series C)

If this copy of Vectorworks is issued with a serial number that begins with the letter "C" and includes one network-enabled hardware key (dongle):

(a) You may install the software on any or all computers located at the site (defined below) identified in the sales order under which you obtained the software.

(b) At any one time, the software may be operated by no more than the number of concurrent users paid for by you and encoded on the hardware key by Nemetschek.

A site is defined as a group of computers sharing a network, physically located within a six hundred-mile (one thousand km) radius of each other, and owned and used by a single company or organization.

1.5 License Agreement (Series E)

If this copy of Vectorworks is issued with a serial number that begins with the letter "E":

(a) The computers on which you install the software must be able to communicate with Nemetschek's server to authorize each installation at first launch and periodically thereafter (you are responsible for establishing this communication link).

(b) You may operate this software on one (but not more than one) computer at a time.

© You may install the software on two computers: (1) a primary desktop workstation and (2) either a portable computer or a computer located at your home. The software may be moved to different computers from time to time, subject to any technical restrictions that may be incorporated into the software under Section 1.5(d).
 (d) We have the right to incorporate technical restrictions into the software in order to ensure compliance with the terms of this agreement.

Edited by Vincent C

Thanks guys. I have an E license and it sounds like from what I am hearing that it is ok. The other firm was concerned about their responsibility and felt that they needed to buy their own copy that I should use. But that is crazy as I'm the only one at the firm that knows VW and I will be producing the projects on my own. I might try to get them to upgrade me though :-).

John t