Drawing in the correct world location

Up until this week i'd never realised the power of OS maps in CAD - i didn't know it was possible to effectively locate your building in the correct place on the globe so that it can be set out on site with theodolites etc..

How do i even begin organising such drawings so that they are correct?? I'm working on a large project with vast building sizes and 400+ space car parking areas so i need to know how when i get an OS map to make sure it's in the correct location - so that referenced drawings from road engineers etc come in at the correct point on the page etc..

Am i missing the point?? Can anybody help!?

Thanks, Alfie

We use Eastings and Northings at OS coordinates to set out our buildings, so it's important to have the building at the correct coordinates.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't necessarily advise that you draw the objects at the correct coordinates, as they will be so far away from the Vectorworks origin you will have issues (literally millions of millimetres away from the origin). Hatch patterns are a good example....even a decimal point aberration in the pattern means that by the time the pattern is calculated all the way from the origin to your site, the lines won't meet at all.

INSTEAD, draw at the origin and DLVP the building (or building site) to the correct location. Then you can calculate your Eastings and Northings from there.

INSTEAD, draw at the origin and DLVP the building (or building site) to the correct location. Then you can calculate your Eastings and Northings from there.

Chris,

How will this affect VW performance if a DLVP is used as you suggest?

Think of a location of approx. 10km x 10km, with 300k-500k+ objects, in an UTM grid with metres as unit. And then I have to start putting my stuff on top of that.

Would you suggest to put everyting at origin and DLVP the whole thing to coordinates, or put the location at coordinates, my stuff at origin and DLVP it on top of the location?

I know, I can try myself, but if you say there will be a noticable decrease performance in your case, even if it is not very big, then I can probably save myself the trouble (unless you have similar drawings regarding size and number of objects where you are doing this).

• 3 weeks later...