File size worries

I am 1/2 way through redrawing an AutoCAD 2000i file as i was unhappy with the VW rendering of the original file.

I am now however recieving pending lack of memory messages upon opening said file.

Some minor investigation show's the file to be 22.5MB in size (which may or may not explain the slow rendering speed) where the 'entire' AutoCAD original was bearly 4MB and rendered almost as quickly on an ancient 90 MHz Dell pc with 48MB RAM.

It concerns me greatly to be told to increase the partition size of a Dual 800 MHz, 256MB G4 (OSX but VW still under OS9) and i can only assume i am sucking memory up with something innocuous.

As someone quite new to Mac's, my setup is still in 'Out the box' configuration so perhaps i need to take the bull by the preverbials and make some changes.... but to what? and what to?

Well, the easy solution is to run the OS X native version of VectorWorks. That will handle it's own memory allocation.

To adjust a program's memory allocation in MacOS 9, you first need to quit VectorWorks. Next, open the VectorWorks folder, and locate the application file in the MacOS Finder.

With VectorWorks selected, go to the File menu and select "Get Info". You will want to use the memory sub-option. Now in the resulting window, you should have a small section labeled "Preferred Size". This is the number you want to increase. For a 20-30 meg file I would probably set VectorWorks to use 100,000kb.

Now as to the file becoming very large... the most common reasons for this are poor use of symbols for repeated elements, or large imported graphics.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

I had already increased this size to 200000 Kb (so much so that i couldn't even check my email while VW is running, but i'm still asked to allocate MORE memory when opening some files.This file has a few ball bearing cases which in total contain about 150 bearings. Other than that there are only 8 other components none of which are complex or repetitive.

If anyone knows how to get my uk dongle distributor to reply to my dongle request, I'd happily try to run in OSX instead.

Dellboy - The UK distributor is Computers Unlimited now. Michael Kourtellos is the Tech person you need to speak to over there. His email is mkourtellos@unlimited.com, or additional contact information can be found at www.unlimited.com.

Also check to see if you have Virtual Memory turned on in the Control Panel --> Memory. If you do not have it on, go ahead and turn it on as long as you have the free hard drive space to allow for it. Then set the VM to about 300mb. I suggest rebooting the computer after making that change and then see if you can open the file.

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

I've increased all the memory i can, including virtual and RAM but the message remains the same.

I returned them to the original values and again the message remain the same asking me to increase memory by around 4MB to ensure stability when opening the file.

It seems my memory changes have zero effect on Vectorworks.

I shall ring Applecare tomorrow to see if they can offer me any explaination.

Apple suggested i reinstall Vectorworks which i did.

I adjusted the memory to the suggested quantity but to no avail. (i did reboot after changes).

this morning i started up and hey presto... the problem had miraculously disappeared in the night...

Computers eh? where's my pen and paper?

Tip of the day -

Sometimes when you just perform a reboot by selecting Restart, it does not refresh all of the memory and cache and other good stuff.

When you do a full shut down and let it sit for a moment or two - I like 5 mins as a good rule - and restart, alot of your memory issues miraculously disappear. I have a feeling this might be why it worked after getting a good night's rest!