More than one core component.

Dieter @ DWorks

Question

We need more than one core component for walls.

The slabs components can be set relative to the core component of the bounding walls, but what if you have a wall between two units, where there are two structural components with insulation between them and you want the one slab to go to the one core (structural) component and the other to the other? This can't be done and is a real life example that happens always with appartment buildings.

So we really are in need to set more than one core component. The slabs then just need to take the closest one to reshape themself to it.

You now need three walls to accomplish this which is a lot of work.

11 answers to this question

Good idea! Perhaps we could have a more intuitive way of snapping to wall components while we're at it. It's easy when a wall is being laid out to have, say the stud align with a grid line but when a wall is shifted It can be a real bear to snap the inside face of stud to a tertiary Grid or other object.

One workaround until they fix this:

1. Don't define a core wall for your separating cavity walls.

2. Auto-bind your walls as normal.

3. Then clip the slab to correct it at the separating wall.

This way you can take advantage of auto-binding to other walls. But you'll have to update this clipping manually if you move the separating wall because the clipping stays where it is.

I also find this a bug, but it's not because it's programmed as designed. Vectorworks is full of these 'programmed as designed bugs' and it's beginning to get worser every version of it. I really think it's time that the Vectorworks programmers do a full job on all the things in it. Once we heard that VW was being rebuild, but it really doesn't seem like that. It's just building upon things that aren't complete and making itself cripple that way. So to the VW programmers: First build a good core, and then complete all the tools that already are in there before going any further!!!! I know new things need to be there for extra sales, but you are now ruining your reputation because the users you are already have will go away if this doesn't stop!

Edited by DWorks

Dieter, i think that most of us are getting REALLY tired of having to repeat this over and over again.

1: Drop the subscription fees.(until everything just works)

2: Fix all the dodgy components that still don't work and haven't for years.

3: Drop the empty "Sales Spin". Those that want VW will buy it regardless, you still can't beat "Word Of Mouth" as the best sales pitch money can't buy, although maybe now that won't help much either . . . . .

4: By all means rebuild the Chassis/Foundation from scratch, but please iron out all the wrinkles and make VW worthy of the title "CAD App"(program, software package, take your pick).

5: Get the basics right then you can add bells and whistles to your hearts content.

I also find this a bug, but it's not because it's programmed as designed. Vectorworks is full of these 'programmed as designed bugs' and it's beginning to get worser every version of it. I really think it's time that the Vectorworks programmers do a full job on all the things in it. Once we heard that VW was being rebuild, but it really doesn't seem like that. It's just building upon things that aren't complete and making itself cripple that way. So to the VW programmers: First build a good core, and then complete all the tools that already are in there before going any further!!!! I know new things need to be there for extra sales, but you are now ruining your reputation because the users you are already have will go away if this doesn't stop!

Amen

Vectorworks is full of these 'programmed as designed bugs' and it's beginning to get worser every version of it.

It's difficult to know what the problem is without being there when the decisions are made. Lack of architectural knowledge? Lack of resources? Lack of time? Lack of attention to detail? Bad strategic decisions? Culture?

My guess is it's a mix of all of the above, with culture being at the top. The culture needs to be one that puts the software user (building designer) at the top of the pecking order, always. One that realises the software user isn't interested in your shiny brochures a month after they're released but rather how she can use the software in real life to model actual buildings.

Don't ship features that are half-baked and then let them languish for years. The wall sculpting feature released in 2009 is the quintessential example of this. It doesn't work at the corners of walls. From the point of view of a building designer this doesn't make any sense at all (there's no architectural reason to impose this restriction). It only makes sense to the priorities of a software maker that isn't putting the priorities of the building designer first.