Rendering - light and texture problem

ginger04

Hi!

Could anyone help me with the plant texture and proper settings to receive and cast light in Final Quality Rendering? I use image prop for the plant texture composed with 2 images (second photo is used as mask for the first one - to seperate the good part). In the texture settings the function crossed planes is turned off and reflectivity is turned to none. The same problem is when I use a simple image prop with one photo and the mask is with transparent color background; everything is ok when vectorwork plant is used. Any ideas to make the texture rendering without shade line in the center would be much appreciated:) Janusz

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

My machine is in the middle of rendering something at the moment, but when it finishes, I will check. I believe that Plant objects always used Crossed Planes, regardless of the settings on the image prop and that the Glow reflectivity (constant reflectivity pre-2011) is applied by default to avoid the problem of the shadow down the center line of the plant.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes it was as I suspected.

I created a new image prop from an imported plant image. I chose not to have constant reflectivity and not to have crossed planes. I then created a new plant and used the new image prop as the 3D element of the plant. This automatically turned on crossed planes within the plant. If the plant doesn't have constant reflectivity, this causes the shadow line to appear down the centre of the plant when rendered. I then edited the texture that goes with the image prop and added Glow reflectivity. I edited the glow and turned it down to 50%. This got rid of the shadow line but they are not too bright either.

I do hope that helps.

Now I see - probably this is the problem because I use the place plant tool and inside it the 3d image prop (even when the cross planes is off it shows the improper rendering). When I use just 3d image prop it is ok. It looks like a bug to my. Placing plants in 2D and then creating seperate 3d props in 3D plane is a huge waste of time:( Maybe in 2012 it is solved... Anyway, thanks for help!

I ran into the same bug (at least I consider it a bug). In order to have the Plant object behave itself, you have to group the image prop inside the 3D space. Then it will not display crossed planes (assuming you have crossed planes de-selected in the Image Prop). If the original Image Prop was created with Constant Reflectivity off it carries over also.

Monadnoc

Thank you, Monadnoc!

... But how did you work that out? I will never even think about this kind of workaround... but it's great - it works!

By dumb luck. I was trying to get a more realistic look to some grass I was modeling and was using multiple single image props. As soon as I turned them into a Plant the auto-rotate and crossed planes got turned on. Which ruined it. Then one time I grouped them all together for ease in rotating them, and when I pasted the group into the Plant, it worked. It took me a minute to figure out what I had done differently to get it to work. And Grouping was the key. Then I tried it on single planes, and it worked there too.

Glad it could help someone else.

Now if they'd just fix that bug ...

Monadnoc

Edited by Monadnoc
  • 3 years later...

Dear Tamsin,

Thank you for your advice. How frustrating it is to discover a crossed line in my render after a 10 hour render! This problem did not show in any of my previous renders at slightly lower resolutions, it only appeared in the final quality render. In the real world this sort of delay can lose me the job. Mine were'nt tree objects just simple image props with a one colour transparent background. It seems that simply turning on crossed planes gives me this problem.

Now I will have to re edit in photoshop ( quicker ) or go through my image props and try and get rid of the lines that way and then re-render everything

(approximately 1 day delay)

surely this can be fixed ?

I hope so.

Tim

Vectorworks 2013 w/ Renderworks

Cinema 4D R13 Studio

Mac OSX 10.6.8, 22" imac, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 duo, 8 GB RAM