Upgrade to 2012 hardscape glitch.

gbland

I am working on a drawing that was drawn in vw2011 and I have since upgraded to 2012. I have several hardscapes that the joint patterns cannot be controlled. If I specify a paver grid, it shows as a paver grid, but I cannot change the size or angle. Anyone else having this problem?

I have four versions installed - 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012

If someone wanted a project reworked in 2008 it would depend on what they required - the old project size etc - I could install 2008, reference the old files in to 2012 depends on what was required

I will never though work on a project I started say in 2010 and finish in 2012 - just my rule

Interesting!

Ozzie, I understand what you are saying and I also have many versions of VW installed for this very reason. However gbland has a point why is this so. For a larger firms this is a nightmare. With possibly hundreds of files from year to year, upgrades and logistics could be a nightmare. If VW wants us to upgrade yearly then old files should be able to work as we upgrade. Its' all supposed to help us work faster not add more work or issues to the problem.

I agree with what you are saying and have been using VW now for 7 versions. In my beginnings I would transfer files to the new version and then get real annoyed when things went wrong ? In the end for me it just was not worth it to do that. I was training a guy over the last couple of weeks who was using 2010 and noticed in it an old bug fixed in 2011that used to drive me nuts. In a sense it is a double edged sword knowing there are bugs still there in old versions but also of course in new versions new ones. I had 2012 for maybe two weeks and discovered a couple. In VW 2009 towards the end of a really large and complex landscape design when I was setting up Worksheets to count lots of plants on lots of Sheet layers when I duplicated a Worksheet in the Resource Browser it was corrupted so I had to build each by hand and format each the same.

In the end now I still think VW is too cheap and in a sense we get what we pay for. I am selfish in that for landscape design it is a wonderful tool and I would be lost without it. I use it extensively for my arboricultural work also. I cannot begin to imagine how frustrating it must be for architectural work when projects may be raised from the dead years later in multi user offices ? as you say a nightmare

Still love VW though - sorry for the rant

Edited by Ozzie
  • 3 weeks later...

I just cant believe this is a problem, you will see from the post i have just added that this has lost me countless days work.. and its enough to make me ditch VW.

In the nicest possible way the starting and finishing in the same versions comment is so unhelpful. yes the benefit of hindsight allows you to sit there and say it, but for the millions who are trying to represent a company that cannot produce the goods to the deadlines set, what are the options..?

is it related to hatches? it would appear so.. as everything that had a hatch or a pattern is now completely corrupt and for some reason assigned to classes that they were not previously on.

this is not a problem that VW should be having seeing as this is a tool that has been around for many years..

is there a quick fix, it doesn't appear so.. but i wont be using VW12 again.. im heading back to VW11 as i should have done when this happened last week when i thought it was a one off..

sorry for the rant but what else can i do..?