Merging Record Formats

When I import Ordnace Survey shape files, each map tile brings in data as a separate record.

So I end up with Record Formats eg. Road_LineRec, Road_LineRec-1, Road_LineRec-3 etc.

All roads, Motorways through to Private Drives are present to all records.

Is there either a way of merging the records so that there is only one comprehensive record covering all map tiles.

OR

An easy way of producing a script that picks up the FEATCODE for each road category for each of the map tiles bearing in mind I have 30 tiles in this one project.

I dont have Arcview. I would just like to add the information that is imported with one set of shape files to the data file imported with a second set of shape files.

The data is for a road categories:

Motorway

Primary Routes

A Roads

B Roads

Minor roads etc..

I am going to try and export each data file to Text Edit, and copy and paste the data to into one file an then try to re-import it and see what happens.

I have been doing that, or referencing the individual tiles in but it is a bit long winded because what I need to do is select each road with a script

SelectObj(('Road_LineRec'.'FEATDESC'='Primary Road'));

Then allocate that object to a Class.

If I could do this in one drawing if would be far quicker especially if I have 10 different map tiles.