Global Window Editing

I want to update all of the window PIOs to use the same set of classes for each of their parts. The windows are different sizes, so the eyedropper tool won't work. But if I select more than one window, the "Settings" tab of the OIP is grayed out. "Custom Modification" doesn't help (this really seems no different than "Custom Selection," except that it opens the OIP and/or Settings in a new window...).

Shirley, it must be possible to globally update this type of information... what am I missing? (You don't need to be Shirley to respond...)...

If you make all of your settings on a window plug-in object (class, size, etc.), you can edit multiple instances of it by making a symbol of it. Just select the plug-in window, create a symbol, and then use the window symbols in your walls. Then later on, when you want to make global changes to your window, just edit the window symbol. All of the plug-in settings are still there, and the changes will carry over to all of the other instances.

This method works for doors and stairs, too.

I have tried the symbol technique as well, but it has a few quirks that keep me from adopting. The door or window Mark (ID number, ie W 101) has to be the same for all the instances of the symbol, and other schedule data, (i.e. location,glazing) can't be modified on individual symbols without altering all the instances.

I prefer to have every door or window have it's own unique mark, and like to be able to note location, of each window and door. This is particularly useful (for me) with windows where location (N/S/W/E) effects energy calcs and glazing choices. Generally my projects are small enough that the larger file size is a non-issue.

I think I figured out the workflow. First, use the symbol containing the configured Plug-in Door, and use as many instances of the symbol as you want in the project. Then select the symboled doors and use the menu command "Edit> Convert to Plug-In Object", without changing the sub-objects. Now you are back to Plug-In Doors, and you can input the door numbers for the Door Schedule.

Why add the step of turn the doors/windows into a symbol? I usually place a door, get it to where I want it with class, schedule, other settings, and duplicate it as I need, changing the mark and sizes as needed. The problem arises when you want to change something on every window or door. Having to manually select each one to make changes is tedious. The worksheets can help with that. Worksheets are also a good way to make sure all settings are consistent.

• 3 weeks later...

Tobias! Thank you for the Edit Window Worksheet and, especially, thank you for pointing me to Pat Stanford's "Worksheet of PIO Fields." That was the missing link in my originally trying to use worksheets to globally update the classes of window parts. I have since added it as a plug-in menu command.

Interestingly enough, I did stumble across another possible source of PIO field information: Tools > Database > Record Format Connection... > Double-Click on the object of interest. For "Window" the "Edit Record Format" dialogue that displayed included the field names for the parts classes... But I think Pat's command may be a bit easier to use.

Originally, back in VW 12, I tried making symbols out of window PIOs. But the problems were relentless, including those mentioned above, and the fact that as symbols their interiors and exteriors would get flipped with each other. Also, if you have, say, ten different window types, that would be ten symbols for which you might have to adjust up to 14 class settings for their parts...

Why doesn't NVW just include these fields, along with all the others already listed under "Possible Columns," as part of the Create Report command?

Why can't multiple windows and doors (and other PIOs?) be edited at the same time? (With dissimilar data indicated by the usual dashes...).

It seems to me that global editing is one of the inalienable powers of computers... it doesn't seem that plug-ins and/or special user created worksheets featuring obscure criteria should be necessary for something so basic as global editing...

Thanks for the feedback!

Will