Roof too complex? What the heck!

I'm working on a not too complex roof, but VW keeps giving me the message "Could not create roof, the house drawing is too complex to compute roof". I am trying to make the polygon simple enough for VW and then create roof faces, but it is a real pain and time consumeing.

Anyone else have this problem with v2011?

• 4 weeks later...

Not knowing the shape of the roof you are making let me say...sometimes its best to make your roof out of a collection of Roof Objects and not try to make the entire roof out of one single object. Most dormer roofs, for example, are better as stand alone Roof Objects that you snap to holes cut into the main Roof Object.

I never use Roof Faces because of the poor (and very different from Roof Objects) control of textures. This is despite the ability to extend and connect Faces to other objects. Faces also don't interact with symbols if you wanted to insert a skylight.

The ability to extend a roof plane to another object really needs to be added to single plane Roof Objects at least if extending individual planes of a multi-faced Roof Object is too complicated.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes the roof polygon that gets tacked out from corner to corner ends up with non-paralell lines for a variety of reasons. To keep everything square I draw a series of rectangles--assuming that is the general shape of your structure--and then use Modify>Add Surface to get a perimeter that is dead-on square/parallel. The roof will usually generate using this trick.

Tom

• 1 month later...