ARCHITECT Still Slow in OS X?

I have a user that says he is still experiencing very slow response with ARCHITECT 9.5.1 in OS X, are they correct?

- Excerpt below -

I installed 9.5.1 for OSX and did a quick test to see if earlier problems experienced had been resolved - unfortunately still the same problem of being incredibly slow. I opened a file created in ver 9.0 / 8.5 and if you click on pen/line type

selection it opens the window with all the pen/line types - when you move the cursor from one pen/line type to the other it takes forever to select a pen/line making the process incredibly slow which is no

different from the earlier version - still faster to work in the Classic version of RW ???

Hi Mathew,

Thanks for the response. I have clarified that the problem they are having is with RenderWorks that comes on the 9.5.1 CD. Is the RenderWorks on this CD also fully carbonized and should work faster under OS X like the VectorWorks?

RenderWorks runs just about the same code when used under OS X or OS 9. There is no reason to expect a speedup in RenderWorks when using OS X on most machines. In fact, for technical reasons about the OS, it is likely that RenderWorks will always be slower in OS X than it would on the same machine in OS 9.

In OS 9 when you render, that process entirely takes over the machine and uses all available cpu power to perform the rendering as fast as it can.

In OS X, which is a preemptively multitasking operating system, other programs are still given a change to run while the rendering is taking place. In fact, you can put the rendering into the background and work at just about full speed in another program.

The only exception to this would be if you are using a machine with more than 1 CPU. In that case OS X should be smart enough to let RenderWorks run at full speed on the 1 processor while handling OS tasks and other programs on with the other processor.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support