Why are walls joining capping components?

I'm using Uncapped Join Mode, no particular sequence. And it doesn't matter which line of the component is clicked (I'm using wall join, not component join).

Hatches are set to rotate but turning this off doesn't help. And in any case we need the hatches to rotate otherwise they don't read well.

I suspect it's a bug (or dare I suggest a "feature") related to the ability to choose a Core component.

Edit: It is. If I uncheck the nominated Core component in the Wall Style it goes away when I join the wall again.

Edited by Christiaan

During the conference here in London I do vaguely remember seeing something about capped components being introduced as part of the core component feature but I can't recall the context and I remember thinking it wasn't such a bad idea in whatever the context was.

In any case I haven't been able to replicate this issue with the wall styles included in VW so presumably it's related to my wall style coming originally from a v2009 file.