Solid addition and subtraction via push/pull not working?

Looks great but it doesn't seem to work.

The intial Push/Pull to create the 3D Retangular extrude is fine.

The automatic plane seems to then work fine to help me find the top and draw a circle on it.

But then pressing option on my Mac just tries to pull me out of push/pull and start drawing another circle. And if I don't press ALT it just puts a solid cylinder inside the rectangular extrude, not subtracted from it

Does anyone know how to make this work?

Cheers,

Matt

Aha, it does work!

Many thanks Tamsin et al!

I just need to click and drag first and then press option/ALT. Weird, I could have sworn I had done that twenty times already.

Obviously not.

Looks like you only get one crack at the "hold down ALT and drag" option though.

ie. If I draw a circle on a rectangular extrude and do not immediately push it down whist holding ALT to subtract it, I can't come back and do it in 5 minutes.

Seems that then I have to do as suggested above as VW creates another extrude inside the rectangular extrude and you have to select both of them and subtract them. That does work but it seems a bit clunky...

OK final question, does anyone know if there is supposed to be something in VW help on the Push/pPull tool explicitly? When I search for it it isn't there...?

Thanks again,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

The secret to the solid subtraction has to do with the Automatic Working plane mode being on. It?s toggled off and on with the \ key. You have to hit the backslash key look and make sure it says ?Automatic? in the Active Plane field up in the view bar (if it says ?No active plane? or anything else it won?t work). Then you draw your square or whatever shape on the surface of the main object. Then immediately move the cursor into the 2d shape to get the red highlight. Then click. Then hold down the Alt. Then drag for your subtraction. Then click to complete. Then let up on the alt.

Wow is it fussy. Mattheng is right, if you interrupt the operation in any way, it won?t work. I can?t get it to work if I draw the object, do something else, select Push/Pull and try to make a subtraction. Selecting the Push/Pull tool kicks you out of Automatic mode and it won?t allow you to go back with the tool selected.

It looks real sexy on the new features video, but it?s so fussy I?m not sure it?s that much better than old school Ctrl-Alt-S

Sean

I've been messing with it a bit too. It is sensitive and all about timing the pressing of the option key, but I think that's just a matter of getting use to the sequence. It didn't take me too long to create a bunch of solid additions and subtractions like the YouTube movie shows. One thing problem I see is undoing something. The process kind of falls apart then and you need to start over.