Importing images

This has been dealt with to some extent before.

I sometimes want to import scanned images into a VW drawing, for example scanned people into an elevation view. What do I need to do to the image either before or after importing to ensure that the rectangular shaped object that the image imports as does not occlude what's behind. That is I want to have just the person in the drawing, not the sheet that the person image is on. Do you follow???

I thought it was a photoshop solution but I can't figure out how to just select the image and mmake a new file for it without the rectangular page.

I sort of got it when I managed to make the entire image transparent so that only the lines of the image appear in VW but this ghost solution is only half way there. I copped out eventually and drew a poly line around the person to hide the VW objects behind (time consuming... and in the case of tree images, really really time consuming)

Any easy fixes? Or is this something you just can't do (JCD)?

I've had problems with other programs and importing a transparent background image.What I do is use Photoshop. Under the help menu there is a command "Export Transparent Image"It usually does the trick. I just tried it, it works.

I'm using Photoshop 6 but I think it's there for earlier versions also.

Joe,

Import the image as normal, then select it and give it a "none" fill with the attribute pallet. Any pure white pixels should be treated as transparent.

Now, depending on your scanner, you may need to adjust color values in Photoshop or something to make the background true white. (The magic wand selection tool is great for this)

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support