Plug-In Object Insertion Problem

I must be doing something wrong, but not sure. Would appreciate any advice. For example...I would like to insert the PIO labeled "Machine Screw (inch) into my drawing.I click 2D Symbol Insertion Tool.....open up Resource Pallete. Manipulate "Plug In Folder" to top portion of Resouce window. When I click this folder, while at the top, it shows me all the PIO's, including machine screw inside....but only while the mouse is clicked. I can't get the contents of the PIO folder to appear below.....just other folders within this folder, such as "Data" and "Interface". Bottom line is that I'm unable to select a PIO, in order to click and place one in my drawing. Sorry if this is a bit "long winded". Perhaps someone could help out here. Thanks in advance.

Steven

Plugin Obejcts are only available in the various tool palettes. The folders you were clicking on from the Resources palette are folders where the plugin objects data is stored.

To use the plugins, you will have to select the appropriate tool palette. Click on the plugin to make it active, then click in the drawing to place it. You can set the parameters of the plugin with the parameters button in the mode bar, or after the object has been placed by the OIP.

If you are using VW Mechanical, please select the appropriate workspace - Mechanical 2d or Mechanical 3D. Some plugins are only available in one or the other.

Cipes.....are you saying the PIO should actually appear on a pallete, such as the 2D pallete in order to use it? Would there then be an icon of the PIO , such as "machine bolt" on the Pallete itself? This doesn't make much sense to me but it seems that's what you were implying. What am I missing here?

Steven

Yes you should have a tool palette. If you go to Palettes from the menu item, you should see a number of palettes available. Say you are in mechanical, you should have a nuts and bolts palette or something like that. Architect will have an Objects palette. You then click on the item from the correct palette and then click in the drawing. You do not need the 2d insertion tool selected.

The symbol insertion tool is only when inserting symbols from the Object Libraries folder.

Are you using Mechanical, VW Foundation, Architect, Landmark or Spotlight ?

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

Thanks, Katie. I'm using Architect but in Standard Workspace (this suits what I do better). This was the problem...Standard Workspace doesn't have the Object Palette that Architect Workspace has. I went into Workspace Editor to place the Object Palette in Standard Workspace but seem to not be able to do this..not sure why. I see a Tools Palette but unable to delve in to this to grab Object Palette. Any thoughts? Thanks, again..your experience and knowledge is much appreciated.

Steven

I finally have this figured out.....thanks for all the help.

One quick note and the source of my confusion.. I have 2 books on VW. One by Janis Kent and the other, a more recent publication by PeachPit Press...VW for Windows and Mac by Tom Baer. Below is a quote from this book and I believe one that is incorrect:

"To Insert a Plug In Object:1. Click the 2D Symbol Insertion tool on the 2D Tools Pallette and then go to the Resources palette and choose the plug-in object you want to place in the drawing."

Katie...when you say select the appropriate tool pallete, I feel I am...the 2D Symbol Insertion Tool on the 2D Tools Pallete. At that point, where would I select the PIO, if not from the Resource Pallete? Maybe you could run me through the process...let's say describing how you would place the "machine screw" PIO (in Plug In Folder) in your drawing, one step at a time. I'm sure this is simple, but for some reason, I'm just not getting it. Thanks.

Steven