Select Object Behind, Force Select

Sorry Bruce, I was hoping you'd overlooked the obvious. It can't be done in 2011:

In 2012 the x-ray mode gets the job done and the 2012 Help reads:

X-ray Fills Mode

A 2D object that has a fill obscures objects that are beneath it on the same design layer or on other visible layers. To make it easier to see these hidden objects and select them with the Selection tool, use the X-ray Fills mode. When the designated key is pressed, all 2D objects with fill become semi-transparent, as if you were looking through them with an X-ray.

In addition to the Selection tool, the X-ray Fills Mode can be used with other tools that require the selection of objects, such as the Eyedropper, Visibility, and Select Similar tools. GDI+ imaging (Windows) or Quartz imaging (Macintosh) must be enabled in the Display tab of the Vectorworks preferences for this feature to work.

To see and select objects with the X-ray Fills mode:

1.Click the Selection tool from the Basic palette.

2.Press and hold the X-ray Fills Mode key (the B key by default). All 2D objects that have a fill become semi-transparent (edge lines are unaffected).

The X-ray Fills Mode key can be changed in the Workspace Editor; see Modifying Snapping and Mode Shortcuts.

The opacity of fills in X-ray Fills Mode can be changed in the Interactive Appearance Settings dialog box; see Configuring Interactive Display.

3.Click or Shift-click to select objects as needed. Objects are selected the same way they are normally, except that a filled object that is beneath another object behaves as if it has no fill; you must click the edge of the object to select it.

The 2012 Force Select help instructions read:

"Force Select

Activates the object?s class, layer, or both (as necessary) and selects the object, even if the object could not normally be selected due to a different layer scale, or the current class or layer option settings"

and you're correct in 2011 the Help can easily be read to reach your expectation:

"Force Select

Activates the class, layer, or both (as necessary), and selects the object nearest to the last mouse click"

In fairness the top-most object is the one closest to the last mouse-click.

I agree with you bcd, force select in VW 2011 does not work as implied by the screen tip, nor as I'm expecting it to in my workflow. I'm way past trying to select the objects in my drawing using force select. I gave up! It does work on grayed layers that are not active, and the class opitions have to be set to gray others, not snap or modify. I just never work that way. Obviously no one uses the force select command.

I do feel the VW 2012 X-ray mode wll do what I want.