Select Object Behind, Force Select

Thanks DWorks. That is a fair solution, but I also then get other objects selected as well. Option/shift can narrow it down a bit, and then I can shift clcik to deselect the other objects.

OK, so how does force select work? I can't get it to do anything, and frustratingly, searching the VW help for "force select" results in nothing.

I seem to be able to get this to work. I hold down the "j" key to enable x ray mode (so glad that VW12 didn't ship with glasses for that) and then right click to bring up context menu and force select.

My only beef is that I wish "j" was a toggle and not a hold down. If it was that...SuperCool.

Have you tried looking under "coincident object selection" in the not-so-helpful help?

This is the VW2012 tool you're looking for. "Force Select" will select the topmost object under your cursor, adjusting the active layer/class settings as necessary to make it possible.

In the "top/plan" 2d world, I will typically send the objects that are on top the bottom, in order to successfully grab the object below it. My shortcut for that is "ctrl B". in the menu it's under Modify/Send/Send to back. When I am done editing the object, I may either send it to the back again, or send the other stuff forward.

hope this helps.

Matt

I know it might be misleading, but I believe "force select" is primarily intended to select objects which are either visible or grey, but on an inactive layer or outside of a current group. Just playing around with stacked objects, it seems that force select doesn't work with items underneath of eachother, since the moment I right click over an object, it will automatically select whatever object is on top. Perhaps 2012's "x-ray mode" will make this less cumbersome.

I think I have it figured out. Force Select only works when classes are not set to snap/modify others. It sure would be nice if the VW help program was actually helpful. I just spoke with tech support, and they too (the person I spoke to) was unaware of how Force Select is suppose to work. I was told to send the front object to the back. Not what I want to do.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer

Hi Bruce,

Funny I've never been able to make it work until now after reading the tooltip in your image. Its a bit odd, but here's what you do -

Click on the object that you want to select. It won't select (in my case it was on a greyed layer).

Now right click and choose force select from the contextual menu.

Magically the object was selected.....

Odd workflow, but it seemed to work....

Kevin

It works with those settings on for me.

But if you have objects on a non-active layer that's not greyed out you can select them with or without Force Select.

Also - you don't need to click on the object before Right Click>Force Select. Just hover over the object and Right Click>Force Select.

I don't believe there is a way yet to directly select objects beneath the top object in a stack. I remember a plugin in somewhere for cycling through a selection of stacked objects.

Likewise if you select several objects you can cycle through them in the OIP.