3d interior elevation Line weights

Digitalmechanics:

Great video and thanks--again--for posting these as they are the best way ever to show how to use tools.

I haven't changed my mind from earlier posts where I said new users and others could benefit from an exploding model or, as someone else said, and you touched on, being able to change lines one at a time ala Revit.

The context of the user must be considered. DWorks is able to teach others in his group how to properly class and maybe more importantly, since he works in a group, how to maintain class discipline. He says that in order to do this better, more classes are often required. As the original posters on this topic make clear, there is much confusion on how to properly class. My point is that the newer user--without expert help at their elbow, should have a means to work from the simplest classing system possible and then, once they have enough knowledge to create a credible model, advance and add classes as needed.

If the new user draws in the correct line weight from the get-go, most of their issues are resolved. Drawing a sections will not necessarily require every line of every window to be manually changed. If they are out-of-class and draw a window or a door at too great a line thickness, no big deal if they have a means to an easy change which currently they do not. Add to this the demand of the system that pushes the model to be complete--again because line changing is tedious--and you have a critical mass that is hard for a lot of users to get past.

I said in my reply to DM that classing is the best way to go and so we agree. But where I am cautious is in encouraging the overlay of an expert's opinion onto the overloaded backs of the new user who does not have an expert to guide them in adding enough to go forward, but not so much to cause them to bail.

Looking forward to your next video.

Tom

Edited by Tom G.

You boast that "lineweights are not as important as they used to be. Here's why..."

But you don't explain why. You don't even show it. Those images may look okay on screen, but what about in the field, perhaps with printing imperfections, folded, wrinkled, faded, smudged, etc.?

You say that using good lineweights is "old school" but you don't identify the principles of old school.