Mega Wish List

Jershaun

Question

1. Real-time Zooming and Panning

The new ?Streamlined Zooming? only works on small 2D drawings. Anything large and 3D (small or large) reverts to 2011 type of zooming. Panning is a nuisance with parts of the drawing being ?blocked out? (blotchy) until the mouse button is released. Blotchy navigation isn?t what one would expect from a professional modelling application. All the new videos show this however on this video (http://www.youtube.com/user/vectorworks#p/u/9/bi9TJQiVsks) at 1m58s there is a pan done but the drawing is NOT blotchy. So why isn?t this possible all the time?

VW is the only CAD software for PC that I know of that does Blotchy panning. Seeing vw is dual platform, I can only assume it's the principles for Mac that?s allowing this to happen. If this is the case, NemV should use a different technology for the PC version OR abandon the windows version altogether.

Refer to Pic 01

2. Interactive Sections

I would like to move my section line and have the model (DLSVP) update in real-time as I move the section line. This is why having 2 (or more) drawing windows open at the same time is important (refer to 17.).

3. Interactive Windows and Doors with Interactive Handles

Each and every element in the Window, Door and other Plug-in Objects need to have graphical handles that a user can manipulate with their mouse. Elements from lines to polygons to extrudes. Everything that makes up the plug-in.

4. Interactive Elevations and Sections

I would like the ability to move elements of a design while I?m analysing the model. I could be in any view and pick up an issue. I should be able to do the design changes there and then without me having to locate the issue in a haystack of layers.

5. Interactive Plug-Ins

Each and every element in the Plug-in Objects needs to have graphical handles that a user can manipulate with their mouse. Elements from lines to polygons to extrudes. Everything that makes up the Plug-in.

6. 64-Bit

This is long over-due. 64-Bit computing as been around for years and I don?t see how users can not ask for this because users don?t get the full potential of their computers, even with a 3 year old computer.

7. Multi-Core

There are some that will argue that Vectorworks is Multi-Core because it presently takes the workload equal to 1 core and splits them over multiple cores. So if you have a 4-core CPU, vw will use 25% (100% ? 4cores) but will split the 25% over 4 cores (e.g. 1st core will use 8%, 2nd will use 10%, 3rd will use 2% and 4th will use 5%). However, I would like to see TRUE Multi-Core where a vw task uses each core at 100%.

Refer to Pic 02

8. Clash Detection

This is important if vw wants to be an excellent BIM tool. Once consultants? IFC data is loaded into the vw model, clash detection will help highlight areas in conflict with the design.

9. Navigatable 3D Pdf's

PDF documents are a simple to use standard which NemV itself promotes. I think it?s only natural for PDF documents created from vw to include 3D information for clients.

10. Real-time Hidden-Line Rendering

I would like to be able to navigate around my design in real-time while in Hidden-Line rendering with interactive frame rates. I don?t want the model to revert to boxes when I start navigating and I don?t want vw to pause for a while and think for 5 seconds every time I release the mouse.

11. Push Pull with 3D Fillets Intact

It would be nice if the Parasolid Engine was implemented into vw in an efficient and effective manner. It would be nice to push/pull surfaces without worrying about 3d fillets. The way the Parasolid Engine is done in Siemans NX and SolidWorks is very intuitive. Lesson should be taken from them.

12. Proper Working Windows and Doors

Certain elements in the Window and Door tools can have class assignments however those element DO NOT take on the properties of the classes assigned to them in 2D. They work in 3D so why not in 2D. In the Window and Door Settings, the ?Classes? dialogue box should apply to both 2D and 3D. With vw?s layer plane technology now available, the ?3D Hinge Direction Marker? should be drawn with a 2D polyline so it can take on a user class with user line-styles. This is 1 of the reason why I insist the plug-in objects in vw should be re-analysed and every single item should be available to the user for manipulation. Offices from country to country have different standards and councils from city to city have different requirements and having plug-ins based on ?coding? cannot be expected to cover each and every scenario.

Refer to Pic 03

13. Easier Cavity Wall Details with Window and Door Insertions

Easier and more automatic method of closing up ends to a cavity wall at windows and doors than the current method of ?splay wall?.

14. Automatic Plan Representations

Plan representations should be more automatic. E.g. a common wall that spans multiple floors should be modelled once in a Design Layer at the specified height but it should be shown automatically on the Plans that it spans up to. Another example is to model an item in a Design Layer using vw?s modelling tools like the push/pull tool and vectorworks should be able to work out the plan representation of the object.

15. True 3D Hatches, Tiles, Patterns

3D hatches cannot be implemented on curved surfaces therefore vw doesn?t have true 3D hatches. 3D hatches need to be applied to 3D objects in a way similar to textures where one can manipulate the hatch using the attribute mapping tool. It should also have cylindrical, spherical, planar and perimeter mapping options. Making hatches into textures is NOT an option.

16. X,Y,Z Handles

X, Y and Z handles (in red, green and blue colours) should be available when objects or surfaces are selected for modification. I would like the ability to rotate, move or scale a 3D face or 3D object with the axis handle by a specific numeric value. Most modelling applications are moving to this powerful method of modelling.

Refer to Pic 04

17. Seperate Windows. All with Real-time Render modes

The ability to have multiple viewing windows open at the same time over multiple monitors would improve production times instead of the time consuming back and forth navigating all the time. Windows for Plans, Sections, Elevation, Isometrics, etc.

18. Custom Rail, Post and Bar Profiles with Interactive Handles for Positioning, etc.

The stair stool has definitely improved however, I would like the ability to specify my own Profile Shapes for Rails, Posts and Bars in the Stair tool. I would also like to be able to position these on a per design bases therefore Interactive Handles would be handy for this. Hard coding the Plug-in cannot cover all design situations therefore Interactive Handles are the answer.

Refer to Pic 05

19. Roof components ? Fascia, Gutters, Downpipes, Roof Coverings, etc. with Interactive Handles for Positioning, etc.

At present the Roof has an option to add a Fascia however this is a perfect example of why ?coded? plug-ins don?t work. Fascias aren?t the same around the world and the way the fascia is done in vw allows no flexibility in positioning the fascia vertically. In addition to a new Fascia tool, I would like to have Gutter, Downpipe and Roof Covering (e.g. Tiling) options. When I do a Section Viewport, I would like to see Tiles on battens on top of my Trusses, etc. Also, Fascias, Gutters and Downpipes should have the ability to apply custom Profile Shapes and user Handles for positioning.

20. Comprehensive Set of Text Tools

Things like Bullets and Numbering, Line Spacing, Columns, Character Width Factor (distortion of each character?s width-sometimes you need to squeeze a piece of text in a confined space).

Refer to Pic 06

21. Linetype Scale per Object

With this ability we can have less Linetypes. If this becomes available, I could use 1 linetype for various objects but I could apply a small linetype scale for a small object where the linetype isn?t obvious and a larger linetype scale for big objects where the linetype is too dense.

22. Printable and Renderable Class Toggles

Sometimes it's extremely handy to have a class visible but NOT to print or render. I would like to have these 2 extra options in the Classes dialogue box next to Visible, Invisible and Grey.

23. Polyline & Nurbs Handles

I would like to have Bezier handles for Polylines and Nurbs points available when editing. This is a powerful and common way to edit polylines/nurbs with the ultimate control.

24. Link to C4D Improvements

Better integration of the Link to C4D including the Geometry export to C4D should be more efficient and more ?C4D-like? (an example of this: http://www.rhino.io/features/video/ ). Any work done in C4D, like modifications or material manipulations should not be affected by a ?merge? of the updated model e.g. Material Stacking in C4D. Objects in vw should be exported to C4D as the closest equivalent e.g. vw Nurbs Curve = c4d Spline. Please put path to C4D in Preference Settings so we don?t get a dialogue box asking for C4D location-it?s a little annoying. Enable/disable export of Planar Objects and Lights. Stop duplicating material on each merge in C4D.

Refer to Pic 07

25. Reshape Tool Faster Access

It only has 1 setting in the Fillet Preference Dialogue box being Fillet Radius. Please put this setting directly in the mode bar.

26. Dynamic Symbols

Symbols with user defined 2D and 3D parameters. The user can have 1 symbol which can have various appearances. This reduces the need for multiple symbols that look alike. It can also fill the void that the Window and Door tools can?t fill.

27. Elevation Benchmark link to Layers

Placing Elevation Benchmarks in an elevation viewport should be linked to Layers. The datum levels shown in the EB tool should be derived from the settings in the Layers dialogue box and also if the EB tool is moved in the elevation viewport, the datum in the Layers dialogue should be affected automatically.

• Like 1

Like em all but love these two in particular:

5. Interactive Plug-Ins

Each and every element in the Plug-in Objects needs to have graphical handles that a user can manipulate with their mouse. Elements from lines to polygons to extrudes. Everything that makes up the Plug-in.

11. Push Pull with 3D Fillets Intact

It would be nice if the Parasolid Engine was implemented into vw in an efficient and effective manner. It would be nice to push/pull surfaces without worrying about 3d fillets. The way the Parasolid Engine is done in Siemans NX and SolidWorks is very intuitive. Lesson should be taken from them.

Only thing missing from a mega list like this is a BIM server.

Most of this stuff doesn't affect our 2D workflow....but that's probably because the 3D workflow has so many holes in it that we don't use it. A list like this just highlights what's missing....this isn't really advanced stuff....more like stuff that should have been included in this year's release just to stay relevant.

So yeah, count me in.

True...but not individual lines, as is possible in Revit........which we really need in Section/Elevation viewports.......

A better solution (imo) would be to give class some extra options:

attributes in section

attributes in view

attributes when hidden

This has been requested many times already, but would be really handy and a better solution then the one Revit has. Or can you use those Revit Line Styles for other things?

This is what I mean about Revit. It has so much power and user control it's amazing. The user has full control over everything.

@Dworks

The way Revit does this, allows the user to set different line thickness to lines in elevations eg. lines in the background are thinner than lines in the foreground. This isn't possible in vw.

Also if you watch towards the end of the video, dashed lines can be placed on 3D lines. This isn't possible in vw.

Also as a general observation, the drawing window isn't blotchy while navigating and the user interface is so much more intuitive than vw.

@Dworks

The way Revit does this, allows the user to set different line thickness to lines in elevations eg. lines in the background are thinner than lines in the foreground. This isn't possible in vw.

Also if you watch towards the end of the video, dashed lines can be placed on 3D lines. This isn't possible in vw.

Also as a general observation, the drawing window isn't blotchy while navigating and the user interface is so much more intuitive than vw.

I still don't know why you would want the lines in elevations to have different thicknesses. It would be a little more prettier, but you can do so much more to make it pretty and readable with VW.

What I do agree with is that in section, we should be able to set the lines that we see and the lines that are in section seperatly of attributes.

I have dashed lines on my 3D objects when I render. I use this for my trees and hedges. Really nice effect. (Although I know that it's some sort of bug of VW).

@DWorks

I'm an old school drafter from the drawing board days and we used to draft that way. As lines get further back, they get thinner. Anyway this is just an example of how one could use this Revit feature, there are many other uses. ;)

@Vincent

Look at attached Pic 01 here

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=32741&Number=161227#Post161227

This is what happens while navigating (both panning & zooming) in vw.

Intuitive=reacts to commands currently being used by giving the user appropriate modes/tools to current command/selection.

I'm an old school drafter from the drawing board days and we used to draft that way. As lines get further back, they get thinner. Anyway this is just an example of how one could use this Revit feature, there are many other uses. ;)

At an office where i used to work, they drew like this too, and i realy liked that effect. They did that with classes though, they had a main class for each kind of thing, and then several subclasses with different pen thickness in each of those main classes. A lot of work that was, but again, the effect was nice.

So, you could solve this with those line styles of Revit, but better would be that VW made a new Render Style that would shrink the pen thickness of objects that are farther away from the viewing point. That way, the user don't have to do any additional work.

This is what happens while navigating (both panning & zooming) in vw.

Of course this would be nice but I think this is a choice NVs have made to keep response rates acceptable, what you don't see in the video is that when you work with larger files in Revit, as I am presently, that zooming and panning gives quite a lag (the rotating ring in Windows) all the time while the screen regenerates......probably because it has to keep track of the whole modell not only the parts on screen.

Intuitive=reacts to commands currently being used by giving the user appropriate modes/tools to current command/selection.

Could you give an example of this not being the case in VWs, excuse my scepsism but I simply don't like the feel of Revits UI.....

Edited by Vincent C
... better would be that VW made a new Render Style that would shrink the pen thickness of objects that are farther away from the viewing point. That way, the user don't have to do any additional work.

Agreed, that would be great, with some level of user control obviously.

I still don't know why you would want the lines in elevations to have different thicknesses. It would be a little more prettier, but you can do so much more to make it pretty and readable with VW.

This is standard drafting practice around the world. It should be a standard feature of any 3D BIM app that purports to make elevations from the model.

It's no good saying VW has different methods. VW shouldn't be re-writing the drafting book, it should draft the way we want to draft. Much like we now have a fantastically implemented wavy insulation tool I hope we get line thickness control in elevations too.

In Sweden it is a standard for a window elevation to have 0.25mm lines for the outer 'rectangle' (frame), 0.18mm lines for the middle 'rectangle' (frame) and 0.35mm lines for the inner 'rectangle' (sash) while in plan all lines are 0.18mm except for a 0.35mm glas line, this is not reasonably possible with VWs ......(perhaps possible with WinDoor but I'm not sure).

Edited by Vincent C

At school, they teached us to use somewhat the same method, but in stead of using the 0.35 for the whole rectangle, we only used it on the top and one of the sides, the bottom and other side was in 0.18 or 0.25. That way, you got a kind of "shadow" on your window (see att1). On top of that, we had to use markers to draw the actual shadow (see att2)

When we switched to CAD, we also ditched these methods... To bad, it gave some extra depth to the drawing.

So, now when drawing in 3D and rendering with shadow, we can get the shadow (the marker) back, but not that thicker line...