Wall styles

Kizza

Some tips:

* Always use the class attributes! (The class attributes for your cavity should have no line.

* The core should be the structural element of your wall, the one that keeps up the floor. This component will also be joined automaticly when this VW options is turned on.

* Wall components are classes in their own classes in 2D. In 3D, they are also classed, but their line attributes are from the overal wall (class) attributes. Which I still believe is wrong.

* The wall will be drawn in 2D by the wall components and their own attributes, on top of that, there will be lines at the edges of the wall and they listen to the overall wall attributes.

* Always check 'use class attributes'. You have always better control through classes.

* Walls are drawn clockwise in the new convention. In the past, this was counter clockwise. So when you think clockwise, the outside part is the top component, and the inside the bottom one. The wall in the preview part is drawn from left to right, walk this line and you'll know wich side is the left side and wich the right one.

Thank you for your helpful post Dworks - it has cleared the muddy waters tremendously.

I'm intrigued by the following:

* In 3D, they are also classed, but their line attributes are from the overal wall (class) attributes. Which I still believe is wrong.

and:

on top of that, there will be lines at the edges of the wall and they listen to the overall wall attributes

Do you say this

Which I still believe is wrong
because the overall wall class attributes (lineweights) would clash because the wall class lineweights will not graphically satisfy both:

* If wall style components are turned off lineweights are in section (2D)

* In 3D lineweights are in elevation

Why not add 3D lineweight control overide in classes?

Do you say this
Which I still believe is wrong
because the overall wall class attributes (lineweights) would clash because the wall class lineweights will not graphically satisfy both:

* If wall style components are turned off lineweights are in section (2D)

* In 3D lineweights are in elevation

Why not add 3D lineweight control overide in classes?

I say this because in 3D, I want the components to have the line attributes of their own class, because it looks so much better! And for another major reason: I want to set the overal wall class to no line so that my 2D plans look better and still see the 3D components. Just try setting it to no line and render in hidden line in 3D, You'll see what I mean.

And never use overrides on ojbects! We can override classes and layers in viewports, But for this to work properly, you'll always have to use the class attributes. And there are so many other reasons: What if you want to change the look fast? Fastest way is through classes.

I am of two minds about this

Always check 'use class attributes'. You have always better control through classes.

Generally I agree, however we often have a number of different types of masonry wall or framed walls with insulation, some without or slightly different widths etc.... I often find the best way do deal with communicating the different types is to apply different hatches.

So we 'use class attributes' for all linework, however the fill is applied by wall component type.

Also I have issue with lack of control for the way line weights and fills are applied to walls when used in 3d.

For example: the wall is set to class attributes and the class has a red fill and a line weight of 0.3mm. This is how it will be viewed in both plan and elevation. However in elevation generally you want much finer line work, and often don't want the same colours.

IN SUMMARY:

"Edit wall attributes" - controls how the wall is viewed in 3d and when 'show wall components' is turned off in a viewport.

"Wall components" control how it is viewed in plan

Except the edit 'wall attributes' will be always be visible unless the 'wall component' settings block it out - ie if you have a wall attribute with a pink fill but a component with a none fill the pink fill with be visible.

I have a three generic wall classes - New, Exg and Demolition. Every wall is on one of these. Then a number of component walls - frame, masonry, cavity, low.

Dworks: I tried the 'none' line on for the main wall class but it made the walls transparent in hidden line view.?

Dworks: I tried the 'none' line on for the main wall class but it made the walls transparent in hidden line view.?

That's my point! The 3D wall components should listen to their own attributes instead of the overal wall. This is needed for better control over the attributes of walls in both plan and 3D.

Your hatches approuch is fine, but we have different classes for these, so we set the hatches of the components through their class. This has the benefit that if we need to make commercial plans, we can override these attributes to have for example all black walls. So yes, it's always easier to control attributes through classes, even if this means more classes.

* Walls are drawn clockwise in the new convention. In the past, this was counter clockwise. So when you think clockwise, the outside part is the top component, and the inside the bottom one. The wall in the preview part is drawn from left to right, walk this line and you'll know wich side is the left side and wich the right one.

I don't think there was an actual convention in the past, it was more of a local thing: some people drew in one way, other people in the other. But with 2011 and slabs, there definitely is: you do have to draw clockwise, otherwise your slabs will never work.

I've hit a brick wall...(no pun intended)

I've created a brick veneer wall style with individual wall components - all graphics controlled by component classes. (see pic)

In plan all is good.

In 3D I want to control textures using the wall component classes.

I also want to see component separation in 3D.

However, when I render the texture is taken from the Wall Style Class.

Insertion options are set to use component textures (see pic)

I'm obviously missing something very small here - it's the last barrier before I finalise my template.

Edited by Kizza

tried that already set to150, this was no problem in 2011.

OK set to 300 and I get a result. Components render by class does not work

(render does not show) and cannot be overridden in VP, when component attribute is set to choose texture,

texture will show but also cannot be overridden in VP. Does render by components work for anybody please tell me?

Edited by mar schrammeyer