Compose Curve in 9.5.1

Since I upgraded to 9.5.1 the Compose Curve function under the Tool pulldown menu seems to be gone

I still have Compose but that does not do what I need

I need to be able to take a collection of connected lines and convert them into 1 object -- something that Compose Curve has always done for me

If I compose, it does not do this

Help!

Make sure you are not the in 3d workspace. The Compose menu command in the 3d workspace is going to compose a nurbs curve for you.

If you switch to a standard, arch, or landmark workspace, the compose or compose curve command will work the way it used to -- creating a polygon.

Please make sure the objects are connecting, or very close to connecting before running the command.

Katie

I am using the 3d Power Pack but not its workspace

I have modified my current workspace and put in the 3d Power Pack tools

Is it possible to further modify my current workspace to get Compose Curve in with the 3d Tools?

How does Compose and Compose Curve work differently?

Thanks

Lonnie

Compose will convert the lines into nurbs curves, depending on which workspace you are in. Compose curve will compose a polygon out of your lines.

If you want a polyline, you can use the connect combine tool to connect each line to the next. The end result is one large polyline.

If you modified your workspace, you may have put the 3d powerpack compose command in your workspace which is why you are seeing a difference in performace. As a test, switch to the standard workspace and use the compose command and see what the result is.

Lonnie,

You have to make sure the lines are touching. You may have to zoom way in to make sure they are connected. Make sure the objects touch with the point cursor cue. If there is a gab inbetween lines or arc/line combination, then the compose will not generate, resulting in parts rather than one object.

Katie

Thanks for the info

I did a test, I switched to the Standard Workspace and Compose Curve appeared again but if I edit the 'standard' workspace and look under tools from available menus, it is listed as Compose and Decompose

Thus I can see no way, short of unisntalling the 3d Power Pack, to truly get Compose Curve back - or without continually switching between workspaces.

This is rediculous -- the 2 tools do different things, why would one negate the other?

Is this something that could be put back and where would be my best place to post this?

Thank you!

Lonnie

Lonnie,

When you compose the lines, what do you want the lines to become - what ytpe of object?

What type of object were they before when you used the compose curve ?

Katie

Genrally I do this when creating my own lighting symbols, as I need the symbol to be seen as one object, so that it can have a fill.

The way I have used compose curve in the past was to take a group of polylines and create them as a polygon, or a group of lines and convert them to a polygon, or a combination of the 2.

When I use 'compose' it chooses parts of the overall object to convert but not the entire object into one.

I just do not understand the basic reasoning why the 2 tools cannot live side by side

Thanks,

Lonnie