VectorWorks for Post Frame Construction

I am just wondering if anyone has advice for me...I am looking for a CAD program that we can use to design pole buildings. Mostly barns, garages, storage buildings, ect. Right now we draw everything by hand. We are wondering if VectorWorks is easy to learn (even for people without much computer knowledge) We have heard good things about the program but would like to hear about it from people who use it daily. Thank you!

Melisa

Melisa,

While I am a biased source, I know a number of our customers are using VectorWorks to do log cabin construction.

What they did was model the individual parts int eh program and build a symbol library to construct ready to use components. Then they just pulled pre-made components from he object library as symbols to construct their documents.

You should call our sales department at 1-888-646-4223 and request a free Demo CD so you can try the program for yourself.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

I'm a foreman in a cabinet and furniture shop and I use the program daily. I have customized the program as Mathew has described and beyond. I have a library of symbols (this means you click twice to insert a drawing of a sub assembly) scripts to modify their sizes, and worksheets that report parts lists, materials, and labour estimates. All our estimating is now pretty much a byproduct of the drawing. I don't see why post and beam would be at all different.

It has taken me about 3 years to get this level of functionality. But even in the early months the program was invaluable as a lay-out and shop drawing tool, long before any of these other ideas were born. I originally used it as a 2d drafting tool.

It is also the first and only CAD I have used. It was difficult at first, so I would agree with the other poster that some training would help. There are tutorials and some 3rd party books that helped me greatly, not to mentions this forum....that and bone-headed determination.

melisa, i have been building custom homes for 12 years and bought vectorworks to teach myself how to draft. while it is taxing, especially with little previous computer experience, this appears to be a very powerful product AND the best value on the cadd market. post and beam,pole buildings, will be much EASIER than conventoinal house design. go for it. there's a training manual available, with video cds, from

www.archoncad.co.nz in plain english that will push you faster than anything i've found available. good luck.

whitecap

• 18 years later...

It's been a long time since the last post on this thread so I am wondering if there are any new resources or suggestions to direct me in learning to how most efficiently draft up a log cabin? I don't seem to find many 'hints' or 'how-tos' on a web search.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Guest Wes Gardner

@Lisar, I'd have to say the difference between Vectorworks in 2002 and 2020 is pretty much night and day.  From a modelling perspective you can choose solids modeling, surface modeling, NURBS modeling, sub-D modeling or algorithmic modeling (similar to Grasshopper in Rhino).  Create a wall style, create a floor system style (slab), create a roof style or, as others have suggested, model-up all your commonly used building elements and save them as symbols in the (searchable) Resource Manager. Also offered is automated drawing coordination letting you focus more on design and less on whether your markers are all coordinated.  Extracting views, creating interior elevations, levels of detail etc are all automated (or can be).  You can also include your finest 2D details! Check it out!  Either 2D or 3D or any combination, let us know how we can help.  Vectorworks University is a good source for "how tos" as is this forum.  We also have a great training department to boot 🙂

Wes