finish symbols and schedule

ChrisA

Hi...

I believe the space tool can help you. It takes a little extra time to place them on individual spaces/areas, but they contain finishes data and more, that can be easily put into a schedule. You can create your own custom finishes if you need to.

It is located in your 'Space Planning' tool set, and s called 'Space'.

Hope this is what you were looking for...

That doesn't quite do it, does it?

Ideally I would like my 2D labels to be different shapes for each type of surface (wall, floor, case-goods, etc.), a different name and number for each type of finish, and data assigned to each.

This is a pretty standard graphic technique for a set of cd's. I don't understand why the simple things like this don't take a higher priority with VW. It still drives me crazy the amount of time I spend just creating break lines that look the way they should.

Chris

Ideally I would like my 2D labels to be different shapes for each type of surface (wall, floor, case-goods, etc.), a different name and number for each type of finish, and data assigned to each.

This is a pretty standard graphic technique for a set of cd's....

Chris,

I must admit that I don't know exactly what you are talking about. To say it is "standard" may be a bit presumptuous. I think that there are as many standards, these days, as there are architects.

Could you please include a few graphic examples of what you would ideally like to see?

Thanks.

Jeffery,

The "standard" that refer to is:

1)create an object

2)label that object

and

3) you reference that object using the label on a schedule.

I find that I spend a lot of my time trying to get my drawings to look the way i feel a builder can best understand them by using work around techniques.

like:

-I can't have a dimension that says EQ.

-I can't easily create a break line.

-Details are clumsy and difficult to get to look right. Forget trying to create your own hatch especially if it has curves in it.

-There is no default hardware for doors

-Using the title block/drawing border is clunky as well.(for some reason I can't get the scale to change on the title block and every and all sheets say A.1.0. no matter what I do.

It just seems that there is more emphasis on the 3d and BIM aspect of VW rather then creating an elegant set of 2D drawings, which is what we ultimately produce in the end.

Regards

Chris

yes, of course, There is always something that i am over looking or missing or have done incorrectly.I spend hours trying to figure out, what is "on", what is "off", where did that line come from, what happened to that line, what happened to all that work I just did, why can't I just do what is so simple by hand.

I am currently teaching a studio and graphics class to a group of college sophomores. In a demonstration the other day I banged out plans, elevations, sections and plan oblique drawings in what seemed like minutes compared to all the frustrating hours I spend with VW. And Yes, I have used AutoCAD, Revit and several other bits of software that promise so much. VectorWorks does appear to handle the CAD tasks a little better.

I just don't feel I am saving any time using software versus hand drawing. Materials take offs and 3D projections might be slightly faster but not much.

The unfortunate part is that the industry feels that this is the way to go.

I'm not convinced.

• 2 weeks later...