Help in Getting Started

Kizza

I've been busy setting up VW 2012.

So far I've setup my template, created a few wall styles, set up my class structure and design layer structure. I've also setup my own drawing sheet with my logo etc.

So far so good.

Now, I have a dwg survey file which I've imported. i now want to create my terrain. I select the contour lines which I want to convert to 3D contours. I then go AEC>Survey Input>2D Polys to 3D Contours and have the create 3D Polygon option checked. I enter the start elevation and interval increment. The problem arises when VW then selects unwanted contours when the next button is applied i.e. it selects the boundary rectangle thinking you want to make it a 3D poly.

I'm aware of the contours being selected in order of being drawn but VW is selecting unwanted contours....

Trying to get up to speed in version 2012 as I am coming from 2008.

Stories are confusing.

Have not use VW in awhile and need to get up to speed as our corporate office (we are a satellite office) uses VW.

Do you normally draw 1st floor then save as and paste in place, or use stories and that is taken care of for you other than wall types and heights.

taoist

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Stories a "virtual" container for a set of design layers that relate to that story. Instead of setting the absolute Z value of the design layers, instead the layers have a Z reference that is relative to the story. This means if you change the elevation of the story, all the layers that are related to that story adjust upwards or downwards with the story - no further adjustments from you are required.

In addition, each layer within a story collection is nominated as a level type (e.g. finish floor or ceiling). Objects drawn on the layers can then be linked to the level type rather than a specific elevation - making them grow or shrink intelligently as the story elevation changes.

The other benefit comes when drawings are exported as IFC projects. There is no further layer mapping required as the layers are already mapped to stories.

Forgive me if you already get all this - I just thought I might help out with "stories are confusing" statement! Hope that helps.

I looked at stories again.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Example: 1 story building

Contains all levels from footing to roof

The levels are offset (vertically) to suite your needs

You can have as many Design Layers (or whatever you name them) you want per story.

taoist

I've set the terrain graphics to 3D Contour.

I would like to graphically use this option but also be able to see some "depth" to the site model (like mesh solid) rather than what looks like a contoured piece of paper.

Also, is there a way to "ground" the terrain rather than have the terrain floating in the air? Might just be as easy as turning of the grid in 3D (is that possible as I want grid in Top/Plan?)