Texture Bed thickness and rendering

copperpence

So I have successfully started using texture bed on my dtm to place parking lots, etc. and everything is great if you have a 0 thickness at 0 elevation. However, since I have curb cuts I would like these to show up as 6" height solid above the surface of the dtm or alternatively show the parking lot asphalt at 6" below the dtm surface. I have assigned z: 6" thicknesses to the curb texture bed and left the elevation at 0 thinking that the piece would act like a solid 3d piece and pop up with a texture on all sides. Unfortunately, all I get is a texture on the surface of the model with a DTM modifier blue polygon 6" above the dtm surface without any texture on the sides or top. Is there another way to do this which doesn't involve changing a bazillion points?

Also should site model update take 2 hours when the rendering shoots out at the highest quality in 10 minutes?

Thanks,

lil miss frustrated

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi

Sorry to hear of your frustrations.

Firstly the texture bed... a texture bed has no thickness at all. It is simply a mechanism for replacing the texture of the site model with a different texture, within the boundary of the texture bed. So, it will never have any thickness and you don't really want to change the elevation.

If you want to show things that have thickness, I would suggest you look at a) the Hardscape tool (but only if you have Vectorworks Landmark or Vectorworks Designer), or b) the Roadway tools. These are objects that will sit on top of the site model, but can also generate their own site modifiers (pads) underneath them that can mould the site to the bottom of the road.

As for the lengthy update times, that does sound a little excessive, but it's difficult to judge without understanding a) more about your source data for the model and b) the other modifiers you have already applied. I am guessing the file is quite large, but I'll be happy to take a quick look at it if you like.

If your model was made from contours, it might be worth taking a look at the Simplify 3D Polygons command under either the Landmark menu or AEC>Terrain menu. This can reduce the number of points in the model, many of which will be unnecessary.

Hope that helps you get started with solving the problem.