Revisions

BG, I'm not sure your question is clear. But when I do revisions to existing drawing files I go one of two ways: 1) if I may need to go back to the un-revised file for any reason I always do a "save as" and re-name the file. Then I do the revision on the newer file. Later I may trash the original, but this gives me a little back-up safety net, so to speak; or 2) if I know that I will never need a copy of the un-revised file I make changes directly to it, then of course make a back-up copy to ZIP (for work in progress) or CD (for archiving finished projects). PLC

Interesting!

I do the exact opposite: the current version never changes its filename. Instead, every day (or even more often) I make a copy of the file in Finder and give it a sequential filename extension.

This works OK in most cases, but WGR (WorkgGroup Referencing) occasionallly chooses to use the previous version on the Mac. (Because of the intricacies of the 'alias' system, I believe.)

The copies go to a specific [versions] folder, so the scheme is workable also when using Windows. (copy -paste). (Fancy that - one of my QA proceddres is workable on Windows! But, hey - why don't we Mac users have the copy/paste option for entire files!!!!!!!)

As comes to official issued versions, I also make a copy and rename it - not change the name of the current workimg version.

BTW, the same approach is used in our firm for all files. We have some recalcitrant people who want to call the latest version by names like 'Design - current - latest - uptodate - May 2002' but, with the exception of my business/life partner, they are taken out and shot at dawn behind the cemetery stone wall....

Anyway, whatever works for you. Just be careful for the bullets.

I'm curious. What's the advantage in your method Petri..you favor "copy" over "save as", and as you said you do the opposite of CipesDesign, whose method is encouraged by the way the OS deals with a "save as"(files the original version and opens the new one).

I recall a concern about doing "save as" in vectorworks, but haven't heard about this issue in a long time.