Rendering Geometry Issues

Zed

I've been having this problem for some time now and have gotten around it by tinkering with renderings in photoshop to get things right, but its just becoming too much of a hassle. Hopefully somebody can help me out with this:

I do a lot of 3D modeling, and use the 3D modeling tool sets as much as possible. In many cases, once I've created my geometries, they look just fine in wireframe and render perfectly in openGL, but appear to by a jumbled up mess of triangulated surfaces and polygons when i try rendering them with Final Quality or Custom RenderWorks.

I'm very diligent in ensuring that all my surfaces for extrusions are closed surfaces, and have even run a test render just using the sphere tool from the 3D modeling set and I still get this problem about 75% of the time - even if I try it in a new, blank file. Can anybody shed any light on this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ok, I've added a signature with my computer and VW specs. I've also added a VWX file containing some geometry where I'm getting this problem. You'll notice that the rounded caps to the vertical posts appear as if they're missing some elements of their geometry. This is only a small occurrence of this issue - I've had circumstances where this problem is quite obvious.

Is it possible that there is some self-intersecting geometry?

Just looking at the face and the skirt - changing all the vertices to corner makes it happy. Changing more vertices to bezier causes a self-intersecting geometry error.

I do a lot of similar work in 2011 and I've never seen this before... And like Vincent says, it works fine in 2012.

How did you generate the polys to make the extrudes? Are they imported from something else?

very strange.

mk

I got the same for my VW 2011 with your magnifying glass, which is strange, because I have never seen it before. It even occured when I pasted one of the elements into a new document, which kinda scared me because it sort of felt like an infection. But when I started a new document to draw a similar object from scratch, everything looks normal again.

No help here i'm afraid...

I have noticed when I pull the "discs/pulleys" away from their positions and then rotate them they seem to render OK. So it seems position has something to do with it?

I also used the push/pull tool to extend each outer face of the center "pulley" a goodly amount and then moved it around in space and it was like there was some invisible object sectioning the solid. If I moved it in direction A it would cut off a corner. If I moved it further it would cut more off and further yet it would return whole.

This is one bizarre corruption.

Maybe look into the history of your solid subtractions and maybe make the outer discs from an extruded ring rather than a subtracted solid?

Can't explain the arched extrusions either.