Importing DWG - Versions?

Itchy

Question

9 answers to this question

Hi

I have to import dwg files form clients into Vectorworks 2010. The size of the dwg file increases by 5 to 6 times when it is imported.

There must be a way to reduce these file sizes! I have tried purging the files once they are imported but as some of the files end up over 250mb my computer locks up.

Does anyone have a solution as this is making vectorworks useless to me.

Hi

I have to import dwg files form clients into Vectorworks 2010. The size of the dwg file increases by 5 to 6 times when it is imported.

There must be a way to reduce these file sizes! I have tried purging the files once they are imported but as some of the files end up over 250mb my computer locks up.

Does anyone have a solution as this is making vectorworks useless to me.

Colin,

unfortunately VW importing dwg files does give the file size increas you are describing, I'm suffering from a similar issue.

The file size of dwg imports in VW2011 is double that of dwg imports in VW2009, the difference might exist between VW2009 and VW2010 (I skipped VW2010)

So there is a kind of workaround for the filesize, but only if you also have VW2009 (or 2008). If I import the dwg file into VW2009 first and then open the VW2009 file in 2011, the overall file size will increase by about 30%. Perhaps the same will apply to VW2010

I.e. this way your imported dwg file might be 65% of the size it would be if you import dwg files directly into VW2010.

HI,

Using Vectorworks 12, recently upgraded computer operating system to Windows 7 but discovered that I can't import DWG and DXF files. Error message says that there is insufficient memory. Anyway around this?

What was your previous operating system, I'm not sure VectorWorks 12 will work properly under Windows 7.

Another possibility is that you have received dwg/dxf files that are new than VectorWorks 2012 can handle. The insufficient memory could be an indication for that. You could try using TrueDWG View from Autodesk (free and can be downloaded from www.autodesk.com) to convert the dwg/fxf files to an earlier version that Vectorworks 12 can import.

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/567/Importing+Files

There is no mention what Vectorworks version this is for? I'm looking at getting files to import into VW 2011.

If we can export to 2011 dwg files surely we can import them?

And on an odd chance, is there a better way of getting ArchiCad information into VW?

Ian,

It might be possible there is something in the dwg/dxf file from ArchiCad that VW is having a problem with.

You could try using Autodesk DWG TrueView (free and can be downloaded from the Autodesk website) to save it in an earlier dwg version or resave it and use the audit and fix errors option of TrueDWGview and try importing it again in VW.

Sometimes there is a small glitch in the dwg/dxf file that may get fixed this way and solve the import issue.

I have been having the same import dwg and shp files issues with 2012. Tried it on a PC (32 bit, 4GB RAM, etc) running Win 7. Did import 3D contours initially, but turned them back to 2D. Tried various processes (in Designer 2012). Got so many application hang/screen freeze messages. Only way to proceed was to scan a drawing of the contours with the z values marked, trace/3D loci them (wow really time consuming) to create a 3D contour model.

Shame because the contours were 3D in the supplied dwg.

Tried DWG import and SHP import on a MAC. Seemed to import them. They appeared on the screen. Saved the file. Closed the file after a time period. Opened the file later - no dwg file.

Any ideas?

Maybe 2012 runs better on PC with XP? I would be interested to know if MAC users using 2012 area having the same import issues? Or is it just PC users? Using 32 bit systems or 64 bit?