Font Management

Two questions here that perhaps someone can shed some light on.

1. Font Integrity - It has been brought to my attention that corrupted fonts can cause problems in printing. Does anyone have advice on a font utility that checks for corrupted fonts?

2. Font Sets - I have hundreds of fonts in my system. For Vectorworks I only use two or three. Does anyone know of a way to limit the font list in VW to only the fonts that I want to use? I have heard of font management utilities such as Suitcase. Is this what I need? Any advice from someone who has used these programs would be appreciated. Perhaps the VW Tech could comment on program compatibility with these utilities.

I don't know of any font utility that can check for bad fonts. Perhaps something like TechTool will check them (?). If you're mssing screen or printer fonts, that may be a source of problems too (easily checked by looking at you screen or printed drawing).

As for managing fonts, Suitcase is an excellent way to do it, as long as it can run on your system. Anoth option is to simply get rid of any fonts you never use by cleaning out your system folder.

Hope this helps.

Adobe type reunion deluxe is what we have on our Macs to organize the fonts we use most in Vectorworks into groups. It still showss you the other fonts available (useful when you want to do some graphic design with different fonts) but since we only use Tecton or Univers most of the time, it shows those two fonts and all their sub fonts under separate headings in the font pull down menu.

Very useful

When I have run Norton Disk Doctor, I have gotten messages for corrupt resourse forks for Font files. I don't know if Norton for the PC checks fonts like it does on the Mac, but if you are on a Mac, try it, it catches lots of potential problems before they become serious.

Raymond Mullin

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: MullinRJ ]