VW 2012 can't insert window or door into wall

Wondering if anyone else has seen this or knows what the problem is:

I select the window or door tool and move my mouse over to insert it into the drawing space or wall.

By the time my mouse moves over into the drawing space....the cursor moves back to just being a selection tool. It's like the tool call fails and it just reverts.

• 1 month later...

I have this problem as well, on a blank file as well as on my current drawings. Infuriating. I've tried re-installing but no joy. I'm new to these forums - do Nemetschek check the problems here or is there somewhere I should report it to?

Thanks.

Vectorworks Architect 2012 SP1, Mac OS X - 10.6.8.

It's exactly as grant_PD described it here

By the time my mouse moves over into the drawing space....the cursor moves back to just being a selection tool. It's like the tool call fails and it just reverts.

I can't even get the little dotted door to appear on the cursor. As soon as you mouse over the document window, it defaults back to the select tool.

I did a little experiment... if I click the door tool and then bring the cursor carefully up to the toolbar with wall insertion mode etc WITHOUT going over the drawing area (so up vertically along the tool icons and across horizontally), it stays in door mode and if I click on any of the tools there (Standard Insertion Mode, Offset Insertion mode etc), Vectorworks crashes spectacularly.

PS Thanks for the reply

Interesting one but no, I'm on a MacBook Pro here. 8GB of RAM too so I don't think it's a memory issue. I tried installing both Metric & Imperial libraries when reinstalling in case it was looking for a library that wasn't there, but no joy with that either. The OP was on a PC so it seems odd that it's a cross platform problem.

It's exactly as grant_PD described it here

I can't even get the little dotted door to appear on the cursor. As soon as you mouse over the document window, it defaults back to the select tool.

I did a little experiment... if I click the door tool and then bring the cursor carefully up to the toolbar with wall insertion mode etc WITHOUT going over the drawing area (so up vertically along the tool icons and across horizontally), it stays in door mode and if I click on any of the tools there (Standard Insertion Mode, Offset Insertion mode etc), Vectorworks crashes spectacularly.

PS Thanks for the reply

I'm having the exact same issue as described above, and I too did the same little experiment described above getting the exact same results, Vectorworks crashes spectacularly. Has anyone talked to Tech Support about this issue?

Ok I think we figured out a solution. You need to go to your workspace editor, tools tab. On the right side under Palettes delete the door command under the Tool Sets, Building Shell. Then, from the left side under the Tools, Building Shell drag the Door command back to the right side in the same place you originally deleted it. I think you have to do this for a few commands in 2012. I know we had to do that for the space planning tool also. Hope that helped.

Edited by nbahnij
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you copied over your 2011 (or earlier) workspace files to your 2012 install, then this behavior will occur. There were some internal updates to the door and window tools that cause this. Deleting and re-adding the tool as described fixes the problem.

Thanks for the replies. I did as suggested, and thankfully I now have a working door & window tool.

However, I got an error message saying

"The following Plug-ins are not in the Plug-ins folder: Raum aus Waenden CW Stake Object, Raum CW" etc etc. I checked and these are in the correct folder.

Are there other issues with the old workspace we should be worried about? Would I be better off starting a new workspace altogether?

We ended up just starting a new workspace from a 2012 default. Since we had a couple of other issues like what you said. The one I remember being the space tool. The deleting and re-adding to the tool in the workspace editor seems to fix those errors, but we did not want to take a chance we were missing other subtle changes.

If you copied over your 2011 (or earlier) workspace files to your 2012 install, then this behavior will occur. There were some internal updates to the door and window tools that cause this. Deleting and re-adding the tool as described fixes the problem.

Now that you mentioned this I did do exactly that. I deleted my old Workspace and created a new one based on a copy of the standard Designer Workspace, and now I'm back in business. All tools functioning as expected. Thanks to all for your comments.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I seem to be having the exact same problem that Grant (the original poster) wrote about. I'm using VW2011 so I'm not sure the problem is the same as what nbahnij and Judah Warshaw are talking about above... but I went ahead and did the Workspace Editor fix anyway. Problem is still occurring.

Grant -- Did you ever manage to fix your problem? I don't see a follow up post from you....

Julia,

Do you have a problem inserting doors/windows into walls or inserting them into a drawing at all?

The first I thought was just a VW2012 problem fixable by the workspace trick.

The second is usually the result of having something else (often a layer or class) with the name Door or Window. VW can not handle different objects with the same name. So if you create a Class called Door you can then not insert any Door objects into the drawing. This also applied to record formats (I think).

Hi Pat,

The problem was inserting them at all. Whenever I chose the Door tool, it would revert to the Selection tool as soon as I moved the cursor over the drawing space, as Grant described. The strange thing is that I can use the Window tool just fine. I was originally working on a DWG drawing that I'd imported.... I tried it on another drawing, with a lot fewer components and it was still giving me the same problem.

I just started a new document and it seems to be working fine in the new document.

As for class/layer/object names, I don't have any named just "Door" but I have a couple classes with names that contain the word "door" so perhaps that was the problem.