Updating Symbol Record Information

MattG

I am curious if anyone has a way to update symbols that are already in place in a drawing that have a record attached to them when the record has been changed for the symbol.

I have Symbol "A" and it has a record to it. The symbols record needed to be amended so I go to the resource browser and update it by editing the symbol and the record attached to it. Then I go back and it still has the values in the fields that it previously had. I understand this is how it works, but is there a way around this?

I know I could do a custom selection replace the symbols with something then replace them back with the right one and it updates, but that seems like a unneeded step.

Any thought?

Symbol instances take on the default record data when they are created. After that there is no link to the default data. If you change the record format, new fields will be added, but no data will be changed.

Your idea of custom selection is one way.

Another would be to create a worksheet/database showing all the objects with that record. You could then change the data there and have it effect the instances you are concerned with.

Very true, didn't think about using the two way worksheet function. That may not be a bad idea.

I get the idea and I understand why it is the way it is. However I wish there was a way to have say two types of fields in a record format. Ones that are always referenced and ones that are dependent on values after inertion. Kinda of like how title blocks work if you "S_NAME" or "P_NAME" you get if something effects all title blocks of individual instances. Same idea.

I find this to be a huge problem if I replace when I want to items to keep the record value they just had.

Either way maybe just a venting moment.

Matt