Sign in to follow this  
Kizza

VW 2012 Feedback

Those who have upgraded to 2012, what is your opinion?

Useable?

Stable?

Faster?

Feedback on new features?

Worth upgrading?

Edited by Kizza

My experience is that it is worth upgrading now. There are improvements in there for both those who work in 2D and those who work in 3D.

For me the standout improvements are Automatic Working Planes, Renderworks Styles and the the new Storey Protocol with its associated Wall, Stair and Column behaviour changes. The Heliodon tool is also very good and the DTM improvements are more than useful.

There are interface improvements that I've found make working much easier:

- 2D X Ray mode (turned on with the B key).

- More Quick Preferences on the right hand end of the Tool bar.

- The ability to set Tool parameter on the Tool bar.

Other nice improvements are the ability to:

- Have intersection edges generated in hidden line renders.

- Toggle the Viewport crop's visibility on and off via the OIP.

- Zoom in and out more quickly.

Generally the new features are always worth the upgrade, question is when is it economically sound to upgrade, ie. how unstable is 2012 compared to previous releases, usually the frustrating(costly) instabilities have disappeared after SP2. (On the other hand the more people using it the faster the bugs will be found ;) ).

Edited by Vincent C

Doesn't seem to be too many complaints as of yet about stability.

Dare I say, this may be the version I'll buy ;)

I've got to say - 2012 is the most stable release of a new product line that I've seen in several years. I haven't any compatibility issues or crashes since I installed the new version.

Personally, I'm in favor of this approach - making the software more refined and mature, rather than adding a bunch of fancy features that work some of the time.

Does anyone know if the DWG export works. Been having problems with 2011 with exporting the content of Referenced Viewports

I've got to say - 2012 is the most stable release of a new product line that I've seen in several years. I haven't any compatibility issues or crashes since I installed the new version.

Personally, I'm in favor of this approach - making the software more refined and mature, rather than adding a bunch of fancy features that work some of the time.

Sounds promising however have you really put it to the test, I mean dwg import export, previous versions import export, viewports, BIM

Yes, this release is more stable than the any of the releases since 2012 and works well on the all recent OS's. Not saying it is perfect but it has been working well through the month of August.

Is anyone having problems printing in VW 2012, my printing files seems to be extremely large and in so result to very slow printing and most of the time it does not print at all. I recall this issue in VW 2010 but was resolved in VW 2011. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by rige_22@yahoo.com

Took the plunge, please note my updated sig.

Now officially part of the family :cool:

Is it worth upgrading a Macbook Pro to Lion, does it slow down the machine?

Haven't noticed any difference.

No specific reason other than:

I'm busy learning VW!!

Any teething probs will be hopefully addressed in SP!

Vincent, is it possible to create graphics similar to "Shaded with Edges" in VW?

It seems to me that if I want to create say, a weatherboard surface pattern on an elevation in 3D it will need to be a texture, which is a bitmap? (VW)

Shading with Edges graphics in Revit are vector based I think.

I ask you because I know you use Revit ;)

in my experience so far. It is every bit as unstable as vw2011. It has crashed on me about four times in the last 24 hours. The it seems to be a little less responsive than 2011.

in my experience so far. It is every bit as unstable as vw2011. It has crashed on me about four times in the last 24 hours. The it seems to be a little less responsive than 2011.

It crashed with me more than 2011 has, a lot more. Very strange, as I have such a good pc.

Seems the best approach in VW for surface graphics is to use planar graphics using a hatch fill, but then if you change a wall or door you have to recreate the planar graphic.