VW 2012 Feedback

Kizza

My experience is that it is worth upgrading now. There are improvements in there for both those who work in 2D and those who work in 3D.

For me the standout improvements are Automatic Working Planes, Renderworks Styles and the the new Storey Protocol with its associated Wall, Stair and Column behaviour changes. The Heliodon tool is also very good and the DTM improvements are more than useful.

There are interface improvements that I've found make working much easier:

- 2D X Ray mode (turned on with the B key).

- More Quick Preferences on the right hand end of the Tool bar.

- The ability to set Tool parameter on the Tool bar.

Other nice improvements are the ability to:

- Have intersection edges generated in hidden line renders.

- Toggle the Viewport crop's visibility on and off via the OIP.

- Zoom in and out more quickly.

Generally the new features are always worth the upgrade, question is when is it economically sound to upgrade, ie. how unstable is 2012 compared to previous releases, usually the frustrating(costly) instabilities have disappeared after SP2. (On the other hand the more people using it the faster the bugs will be found ;) ).

Edited by Vincent C

I've got to say - 2012 is the most stable release of a new product line that I've seen in several years. I haven't any compatibility issues or crashes since I installed the new version.

Personally, I'm in favor of this approach - making the software more refined and mature, rather than adding a bunch of fancy features that work some of the time.

I've got to say - 2012 is the most stable release of a new product line that I've seen in several years. I haven't any compatibility issues or crashes since I installed the new version.

Personally, I'm in favor of this approach - making the software more refined and mature, rather than adding a bunch of fancy features that work some of the time.

Sounds promising however have you really put it to the test, I mean dwg import export, previous versions import export, viewports, BIM

Is anyone having problems printing in VW 2012, my printing files seems to be extremely large and in so result to very slow printing and most of the time it does not print at all. I recall this issue in VW 2010 but was resolved in VW 2011. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by rige_22@yahoo.com

Vincent, is it possible to create graphics similar to "Shaded with Edges" in VW?

It seems to me that if I want to create say, a weatherboard surface pattern on an elevation in 3D it will need to be a texture, which is a bitmap? (VW)

Shading with Edges graphics in Revit are vector based I think.

I ask you because I know you use Revit ;)