VW 2012 3D Dimensions in a Viewport

3D dimensions are somewhat of an extravagance to me. They have to be drawn on the Design Layer, and arranged to be seen from only one 3D view. If you really want to do it, I think 3D Dimensions can be managed on a special design layer separate from the model layers, by using a Design Layer Viewport that references the model layers. Then you can draw 3D Dimensions in a 3D view of the DLVP object.

Edited by Bob-H
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Bruce, who told you that you have to do dimensioning as annotations in viewports? View-specific dimensions may best be put in viewports, but really, there are lots of times it makes best sense to dimension on a design layer. That's why we have a standard Dimension class. If all dimensions were in viewports, there would be no need for that class.

Robert,

Someone told me! I don't know who it was, but doing so is easier for me than putting them on a design layer. I like to have my dimensions in viewports so they don't clutter my design layers. I make a sheet with multiple dimension viewports showing top, right, front, and ISO views. I'd like to be able to add dimensions to the ISO view in a viewport. I have a few ideas how to do it, but I'd first like to hear how others do it. Ultimately it would be best if they could be added in the viewport.

Are 3D dimensions associative in VW 2012?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Bruce, the best rule is, if it shows up in only one view, then it can go in viewport annotation. Otherwise it should be "in the model", i.e., in a design layer.

Your best option is to add 3D dimensions in the design layer. The automatic-plane feature of Vectorworks 2012 makes this a snap. If you want to hide them in a particular view, just hide the Dimension class.

What happens if you have 100+ parts in a design. You'd have to have 3 dimension classes for each part so you could show the Technical Drawing clearly, otherwise other part dimensions would show up in the viewport.

Not having associative 3D dimensions is clearly leaving VW behind the competition.

Walls have it why not other 3D objects.

It seems to me that VW is progressing at an unexpectedly slow speed.

• 1 year later...

Agreed with GWS.

Also - dealing with the text sizing from model space to viewport is very clunky.

What if I use the same object, but use different scaling?

It is a part of an assembly. I have the assembly view and the detail view.

I need to dimension both of these. I now need to go in and create a new class of dimensions just to be able to turn off the part dims and show the assembly dims?

Rustic to say the least.