Label Legends in 3D please

Andy M

I see that in VW2012 you can apply Text to working planes, do you think we might see Label Legends working in a similar way.

3D Label Legends would make designing stages so productive. Lighting on stages is so often placed above or below other lighting symbols and using/seeing Label legends only in Top plan view takes a lot work/time in producing plans that show all the information for the lighting symbols.

For instance, If I have a wall of lighting fixtures or vertical lights, as stage shows often have. I find the only way around say using LLs would be to have a duplicate of the symbols on another layer , but on the duplicate the symbols would be placed in a horizontal line instead, so I could see the label legends for each symbol.. this adds a lot of work to a drawing...

There are other work arounds I have tried, though just as time consuming, where really LLs working in 3D would make VW spotlight rock..

Does anyone else have this issue?

Hi Andy;

This is an intriguing notion. When i started drafting, sometime after Pangaea broke up, it had already been established that fixtures stacked on top of one another warranted two views; the groundplan view showed where the stack was located, while the separate front/side elevation showed the actual fixtures, their hanging locations, and [in this case] their label legends.

Drawing this and still showing scaled accurate beams in 3D is still [iMO] a Gordian Knot. you hypothesis is interesting. what would be great is if you could quickly draw out something like what you would want to see. this could potentially be a new aspect to drafting, as far as i can tell.

If you have a chance, send me a simple example off-list. i'd be very interested to see it.

good luck,

Shelley

MrTemplate@earthlink.net

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

I encounter this issue all the time when drawing a 3D lighting

design for presentation or ESP. My method has been to duplicate

the lighting layer once the lights have all data. Patch paperwork& reports need to be generated first, before layer duplication otherwise the fixtures get doubled up.

With the duplicate layer now a 2D FOR PRINT layer I move things

around so all the LL can be read and no longer stacked in plan view

this basically adds work to the design process and this point is when I should start programming the show or getting on with the next job.

Traditional boom positions are easy enough to illustrate for a

theatre but when we get into pixel mapped light walls of multiple fixtures it all gets a bit hectic. What would be cool is a LL in

3D that always faced the camera view showing the fixture position and patch data in one hit.

regards

Dan