2012 Push-Pull

Kimcz

I have downloaded the trial version (short) prior to receiving my upgrade to VW2012 via VSS. I am trying the push-pull with Automated Working Plane, using the "\" key to toggle on this. I get a statement saying that "Automated Working plane is not available in current context". I have spent a while trying out this feature, and it has somehow worked for me only once (fleatingly )in 2 hours of trying. There is no help on Help. What is the right context?

By the way, 2012 seems to be a lot faster than the very slow regen of 2011, especially Sheet Layers with lots of Viewports on them. This slow regen in 2011, to my mind, was the real problem with 2011, almost a deal breaker.

One other aspect on 2011 and 2012 is, what is the difference between Layer Plane and Screen Plane? Again, no mention of Screen Layer in the Help menu. I have battled with this for a year. I have been with VW since Minicad6.

Screen plane is as if the elements are drawn right on the screen of your computer and stay there on that screen orientation regardless of different views. Layer plane is when the elements are drawn on a defined plane- a ground or floor plane in architecture, or otherwise defined for elements which are easier created on plane of a different orientation- whose geometry follows the orientation in 3D space of that plane when the view of that plane is changed.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

To use the automatic plane:

Draw something on the layer plane in a 3D view, using a 2D tool such as the rectangle. Immediately, click on the surface of the rectangle and pull it up. Now hover your mouse over the extrude. The planes of the extrude should highlight in blue as the planes are detected under your pointer. If this doesn't happen, use the \ key or change to Automatic plane on the View bar.

Draw another rectangle on one of the vertical sides of the extrude. Click on the surface and pull.

Hope that helps!

Thank you both, Tad and Tamsin, for your very quick responses. Both were extremely helpful.

The essential part of the push-pull is to be in Layer Plane and to have a tool selected, rectangle, circle etc., before the Automated Working Plane can be instigated. It has worked as promised.

A further question however, is how to accurately, to absolute dimension, to place the new part to be extruded in the right place within that face. It all looks so simple on the video.

I know that you can revert to Top Plan View etc. within the process, but is there a way in 3D?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes. Just put your cursor on the "datum" (for example, a corner on your extrude), and make sure the desired plane is highlighting. Press the Tab key and tab to the X coordinate. Fill in the distance you want from the datum as the new start point. Repeat for the Y coordinate, pressing Enter after the second value. Now click and draw. The new shape will start a set distance away from the datum and you can use the data bar as normal to set the desired size.