Finding my Basic Tools palette

Jimmy Lawlor

Sometimes I click the Basic Tools Palette red button (Mac OS) by mistake when I am aiming for the Selection Tool in the palette. This closes the palette and it disappears from the screen. To get it back, I click in the VW menu Window>Palettes>and select Basic (near the bottom) - This restores the palette to its location when closed.

-B

• 1 month later...

I'm having the exact same issue!

Just installed VW 2012 and updated with the latest SP. Running Win 7.

I accidentally clicked the close pallet X in the title bar of the Basic tools palette. When I went to Windows>Palettes to select the Basic Tools I was unable to restore the palette by checking next to the name. The same is true for Tool Sets. I switched to a different workspace and the basic pallet appeared, when I checked the X again to see how I could restore the Basic tools in my normal workspace (Spotlight) it too disappeared and could not be re-opened. The reverse is true for the Tool Set pallet. While visible, I am unable to hide the Tool Sets by using the Window>Palettes menu. I have restarted, updated the service pack, opened and closed various documents, made copies in the Workspace editor, nothing works. Once I close the Basic and Tool Sets in any given workspace, they disappear forever.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone found the issue with this. I had this issue in Version 11 and version 12. It is NOT simply a matter of reloading the workspace, as the palette is gone for good. It isn't just closed. Only a complete new installation fixes it, then if you are foolish enough to close the basic or tools palette again, it is gone again. I suspect it is a User rights issue. ( doesn't happen on my work computers, just this Dell Studio laptop. )

Just found that Right clicking in a blank part of screen space lets you select and turn on both palettes successfully. The Windows-Palettes menu does not work and is probably at fault.

Wish I'd found this before doing two re-installs!

• 3 months later...

:) Thank you so much for posting this solution.

I run a windows 7 machine with vectorworks 2011.

I had lost my basic and tool set for landmark.

The top windows under window pallets would not let me select the basic or tool set. I tried replacing the files for the workspaces to no avail.

Your solution worked. I opened a blank file and right clicked with my curser on white space where the design deigns would normally be created and was able to select both tool sects via the mouse menu. Both came back my workspace is normal again.

I can't thank you enoughe for posting this. Apparently this solution works for landmark or spotlight on a Windows machine.

Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @3.4GHz

16 MB

64-bit OS

NVIDIA Quadro 4000

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am on v2013 with Windows 7. I have lost my Navigation and Object Info palettes. I have modified screen resolution, added a second monitor, reinstalled Vectorworks, and have reloaded workspaces. They appear in other workspaces but I can't get them to appear in Spotlight. Reinstalling worked the first time but not second. Vectorworks thinks they are on but they are no where to be found.