Help! VW 2008 stopped working

DIYguy

Monday I had VW 2008 open and working. Tuesday our IT guy deleted some obsolete programs on my machine using control panel add/remove programs and then did Windows update. (14) updates where downloaded and installed on Tuesday. Wednesday when I tried to open VW all I get is the hourglass apearing for about one second and that's it. 10 hours later trying all sorts of fixes, VW still won't start.

XP SP3 computer

VW Designer 2008

Reinstalled VW, still didn't work.

Manually hunted down registry entires, moved original files, etc, to uninstall VW and did a clean install of VW, still won't work.

Chased down every update downloaded and installed and removed the updates using add/remove programs, rebooted about four times, still won't start.

Running out of ideas, has anyone run into this before and if so, how to fix?

JJ

Yeah, VW can be particular about the version of QuickTime. I'd uninstall your QuickTime and reinstall the one from the install disk.

Alternatively, inside the resources folder, there several vcredist installers. Try running them manually and see if that helps. Are you on a dongle as well?

Interesting....

I checked with one of the other project managers running the same VW version and checked what version of QT he's running. He has 7.69 same as listed above. Just to try everything I uninstalled my QT and installed 7.2 from the VW 2008 install disk. After rebooting VW was able to open. Since I was running 7.69 and Steve has 7.69 and it worked fine I'm going to guess that somehing happened to the QT install and the new install gave a clean copy. Good news, program runs again, bad news I have to rebuild ALL my preferences and settings over again.

Thanks for the help!

JJ