VW2013: Building Materials

Chris D

Question

2012 has storeys, or stories as you americans call them (those are for bedtime here). In the words of Christiaan...storeys are one less level of abstraction in the march from CAD to BIM.

Next year's request for less abstraction: Building Materials

We currently don't have materials, we have all purpose classes AND fills AND textures AND wall component materials.

I want a base set of building materials right there when I open VW - brick, block (cmu), wood, plaster, glass, etc etc. These are auto-classing like PIOs, they come with predefined fills and textures, and they even come with default data properties like density and R values.

I want the ability to edit these, duplicate them, and to make my own too. Of course.

I want these materials to be right there when I need them..right there in the Create Wall Style dialog, right there in the New Class dialog.

I want every view - cut section, elevation, iso, rendered perspective to have an inherent default appearance for these materials.

14 answers to this question

These (and others) should be part of wall definitions.

That is, as you create (define) your wall styles, the materials that define the wall should report in the material list.

I will admit I have not tried the worksheet functions to see what is available for reporting on materials.

I will get to it this weekend.

taoist

Material should be a high level parameter, set that can be accessed by many objects. There maybe multiple wall types, slab types- kitchen bench made from concrete

Because classes are used for visabilty as well as appearance I find we end up with class duplicates so we can turn objects off and on.

A material resource for a high level control of textures line weights et cetera would be good.

Material should be a high level parameter, set that can be accessed by many objects. There maybe multiple wall types, slab types- kitchen bench made from concrete

Because classes are used for visibility as well as appearance I find we end up with class duplicates so we can turn objects off and on.

A material resource for a high level control of textures line weights et cetera would be good.

Which also means a Material must have several ways of display: 2D plan fill/hatch, 3D Hidden line hatch/pattern, Rendering texture, section cut...

Very good idea Chris! I see them replacing components completely, in Walls, Slabs and Roofs etc. i.e. One set of materials(components) to be applied in all PIOs and completely editable as a resource. (apply any hatch/tile etc. to be shown in each situations i.e.. define a specific hatch/texture/tile/repetitive object for each of the sections, plans, faces views etc. imagine the possibilities and the amount it would simplify our workflow!

Edited by Vincent C

I want a base set of building materials right there when I open VW - brick, block (cmu), wood, plaster, glass, etc etc. These are auto-classing like PIOs, they come with predefined fills and textures, and they even come with default data properties like density and R values.

I want the ability to edit these, duplicate them, and to make my own too. Of course.

I want these materials to be right there when I need them..right there in the Create Wall Style dialog, right there in the New Class dialog.

I want every view - cut section, elevation, iso, rendered perspective to have an inherent default appearance for these materials.

And a worksheet schedule for material take-offs to fit!