Vectorwoks 2012 is here!

looks like the first version of VW that could actually be called BIM software

As long as you're happy with one person working on the model or splitting the model into static files.

Bummed out there's no server.

And no mention of any improvements to the current collaboration method of references files and DLVPs etc

Also still no 64 bit support, 3 out of the 4 cores still go unused unless rendering.

Also still no 64 bit support, 3 out of the 4 cores still go unused unless rendering.

I beg to differ. A lot of the processor intensive operations in VW are carried out by Parasolid (both 2D and 3D). And AFAIK, that code operates under 64 bits and is multi-core (when the processes can be split at least, since not all operations can be split, but I guess you know that). So no, the interface isn't 64 bit, but you're not going to gain a whole lot of speed with a 64 bit Ressource Browser, are you?

Yep - they seem to be really pitching vectorworks for extra small practice, for the extra small project.

Indeed. The modelling and BIM improvements are welcome, especially the storeys feature, but NV have further pigeonholed themselves as being suitable only for small office small projects by letting another year go by without BIM server software.

I beg to differ. A lot of the processor intensive operations in VW are carried out by Parasolid (both 2D and 3D). And AFAIK, that code operates under 64 bits and is multi-core (when the processes can be split at least, since not all operations can be split, but I guess you know that). So no, the interface isn't 64 bit, but you're not going to gain a whole lot of speed with a 64 bit Ressource Browser, are you?

From what i can tell on VW2011 from watching the task manager, VW is a 32 bit app and only uses 25% of my CPU, so one core max.

It is good when i am using renderworks, but a lot of my rendering is Hiddenline and so the cinerender 64bit app does nothing, and VW chugs away only using 1/4 of my computers power....

I don't think this has changed in 2012, otherwise they would of made a deal about it...

I agree with Ian (Xsasinator)

As for the Story feature-I don't think it's that big of a deal. I think people will realise it when they use it. VW still works with Classes and Layers.

I tried it, and you are right. It's really not that big of a deal. We could do exactly the same with layers. And they say: but now you can bound more objects to layers. They also could have bound them like the walls were in 2011: that's exactly the same.

BUT: I think I see where they are going and we'll have to wait to see the real benefit of the storeys.