Duplicate along 2D spiral path problem

lh85

Hi there,

I would like to duplicate objects along a 2D spiral pathway but I can't do so. When I'm at the duplicate along path window where one has the option 'select a path object', when I want to select a 2D spiral it doesn't allow me to. I'm using VW2008, though it's not possible with VW2011 either.

If it is definitely not possible, does anyone know of an alternative method of duplicating objects along a 2D spiral pathway?

Thanks very much.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi

Yes - you just need to select the spiral path AND the object together before running Edit > Duplicate Along Path. Vectorworks will then highlight the object it thinks is the path - if it has selected the wrong one, use the Next button to select the correct path. Then set your parameters - either a fixed number of copies of a fixed distance between them. Then click Preview to make sure you are happy with it. When you are happy, click OK!

Hope that helps!

Hi Tamsin,

Unfortunately the method you have outlined doesn't seem to work for 2D spirals, on both VW2008 and VW2011. I have no trouble using the duplicate along path function with geometric shapes, straight lines, polylines, whatever, but for some reason not 2D spirals.

Try doing this: Select a 2D locus AND a 2D spiral. Then Edit > Duplicate Along Path.

On my VW2008 copy the dialogue box "no path object is selected" appears.