CMYK Colours

Hi I am on a 30 day evaluation of Vectorworks having attended a short course. I have some artwork designed in Adobe Illustrator and have been given the CMYK values. I would like to use the same colours within Vectorworks and have converted them to RGB values using an online convertor but the colours have come out different. I don't know how to use Illustrator so at the moment I can't create what I want in either piece of software!

Any thoughts would be very welcome!

Thanks. Olivia

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Olivia

You don't mention if you are on a Mac or on a PC, but either way, you should be able to create a new colour and set CMYK values for it. No need to convert to RGB.

On the Attributes palette, click the solid fill colour box. When the colour palette manager opens, you can create a new palette. Having created the palette, you can create new colours within the palette. You can open your operating system's colour picker and this should allow you to enter CMYK values directly for your colour.

All the best

Tamsin

Hi, I am on a PC and had tried this already. However it only allows me to enter RGB or HSL values. Using the converter I found the CMYK values do in fact show, and strangely are virtually the same values as those used in Illustrator; its just that the actual colour is quite different!

I don't understand it at all :(

Thanks. Olivia

OK - well, RGB has a higher range of colours ("gamut") than CMYK, but they should look similar. Are you comparing the onscreen colours with printed colours? If so, it may be that your screen display needs calibrating - because you are comparing completely different colour systems (RGB being "additive" and CMYK being "subtractive"!)

Do you want to send me a couple of example colours (offlist if you prefer), and I'll take a look. I do also have Illustrator and can do some comparisons for you.

tamsin@vectorworks-training.co.uk

Hi Olivia

I have had a look at this on my Mac. Unlike the PC, I can use my operating system colour picker to choose CMYK values.

However, I have noticed that once I create the colours in Vectorworks according to your CMYK values, they are slightly changed when I go back in to edit them.

I am wondering if possibly it is converting to the nearest Hexadecimal value (aka web safe) colour.

I will check it out. I have sent you an email with the colours in Vectorworks compared to the colours in Illustrator. I will do some more digging and let you know what I come up with.

All the best

Use File Manager to attach files to posts on this forum. In the quick reply area where a reply to a post is entered, click the "Switch to Full Reply Screen". Click the File Manager (it's blue). Click Choose File>browse to the file and click it>wait while it scans>click Add file> choose another if desired. Click Done Adding Files. The post can still be edited. No need to wait until end of text to access File Manager.

-B