will VW 2012 finally have missing features?

As we know Vectorworks is missing several important features so that we have to purchase third party 'add on' such as Windoor to create custom folding doors (extremely popular in the UK) and windows, the kitchen unit capabilities are limited, many people buy a rendering programme, etc etc. Have NNA addressed any of these anomalies with 2012? Don't get me wrong it's great software which I've used since Minicad but why don't they give us what we truly need for everyday architectural design and rendering without the need for support software?

I for one agree with you.

VW 2011 has Cinema 4D engine.

Interiorcad is what is need for cabinets if you are like me.

I do residential remodeling and more / better cabinet options is a must.

Also, easier interior trim ability.

To have to use EAP for window / door and baseboard and crown is behind the times. Yes we can do it, but should have options in OIP for such.

Sink cutouts is another area that needs to be improved.

I do not know to what extent the stair tool has improved as I am using VW 2008.

In VW 2008 options for stair rails are a round handrail and round balsuters.

We need to have profile options, and newel posts choices.

Just think of the WOW factor in doing 3D renderings

Will keep asking.

taoist

Taoist:

Right on ! I want to echo the need for much better interior trim/base board drawing .... using extrude along path takes too long and if you move a door, its all out of whack. Also... I can't figure out why sink cutouts in base cabinets have been so problematic ... it should have been made easier in the software years ago. Also: stair tool should have ballusters and newel posts be made from symbols so they could be customized and not just be a straight square/round section.

Funny, I was just contemplating posting the question "Why did Piranesi/ePix" export go away in 2011? Sounds like maybe it shouldn't have...

I agree with pretty much everything here.

How about a missing feature from 12.5?: In 12.5, double-clicking on a 2D-only or a 3D-only symbol would edit the 2D or 3D component, respectively, regardless of whether or not the current view was a 3D view or Top/Plan view. With 2008 and, evidently since, it's easy to enter a non-hybrid symbol and find nothing there...

Kizza,

What do you mean?

Vectorworks has had native PDF support for both Mac and PC for a LONG time.

Too bad they (still) strip PDF functionality out of Fundamentals, as well as batch printing, DLVP, and a handful of other relatively basic features I'd expect from a software package that is still described as "professional" in the brochure.

(I suppose this is really another conversation...although it's one I've never gotten much response on when I've tried to start it in the past.)

Too bad they (still) strip PDF functionality out of Fundamentals, as well as batch printing, DLVP, and a handful of other relatively basic features I'd expect from a software package that is still described as "professional" in the brochure.

(I suppose this is really another conversation...although it's one I've never gotten much response on when I've tried to start it in the past.)

Fundamentals is a professional solution. It's not a toy, the people who use it do so in a professional context. However, it is also an entry-level solution. Nothing more, nothing less. If you need to output a PDF, use one of the free PDF printer drivers. The PDF support in the market-specific versions is much more elaborate - it allows batch processing, for instance, and that is not something I associate with entry-level work.

And, as is typical for these discussions, it's really about "I think I deserve more features for my money". Well, you get what you pay for. If PDF export is so important for you and you think the lack of it hampers your workflow, you should upgrade to a more complete version. That's all there is to it. And once you have a more complete version, you will quickly discover lots of other tools and featues that you can't actually live without if you're using VW on a daily basis.

Edited by BaRa
  • 5 months later...
Funny, I was just contemplating posting the question "Why did Piranesi/ePix" export go away in 2011?

It went away because it was part of the Lightworks code.

That maybe partially true. Vectorworks did have epix support prior to it being available in Lightworks. It may have at a later date then used Lightworks

Edited by BrianWW