Data info onto object

Hi

I have lots of objects with data attached. I want a certain bit of that data (ie the object name) to appear on the object itself as text.

so for example, i have 20 objects with lots of data attached to each of them, each one has a name (code : examplename) held within this data. what i want to do is to have this specific data appear as a text label on the object itself. is this possible without scripting???

i only have the landmark and fundamentals packages. i know there is a space tool that can do this but i dont think i have it with my config.

can anyone help?

thanks

... Alternatively...

You can possibly create a 'stationary' label if these objects be symbols, which would do almost the same thing but with less control of the label itself. This label would be embedded in the symbol itself. But if you have different objects (which I think you have), the 'ID Label Tool' (if you have it), would be your best bet!

Or link text to data

Edit the 2D part of the symbol.

Put in dummy text with the size, font, format, etc. that you want.

Select the text.

Tools>Records>Link Text to Record...

Navigate to the record format and field.

If that field in the record format had default data, the text will immediately change to that.

Exit the Symbol

You can now edit all instances of that data with a worksheet database.

hth

mk

PS. Farookey, if you have an example of using the ID tool with custom objects and calling up custom fields, I'd love to see an example. I've never been able to get it to work....

Edited by michaelk

monkey...

BRILLIANT!!! Then the 'ID Label' tool will be what you need... Bare in mind though, that unlike doors and windows that have tags that move with the object, the 'ID Label' tool and your object would be 2 different entities. Hence you would have to select both and move them if you wish. But the label has a handle as well, allowing you to move it anywhere you want, still being "connected" (by a leader, if you need one) to the object itself...

michaelk...

Sure. I am at work, so allow me some time to gather this info for (the both of) you! The one I have set up here at work is for a curtain wall option, where we use the 'Window Wall' tool to represent a curtain wall. And because you cannot (necessarily easily) generate worksheets/schedules like the window plug-in, I used a record format to do so. The label/ID is attached with the 'ID Label' tool to show on plans, but obviously any info can be shown.

Sound cool?!

Alritey...

Granted you already have your record format created (let's call it 'A_TEST'), firstly, you have to create your ID Label. This would be what you wish the label to look like as well as the info/data you wish to show. It will be created in the form of a symbol and be placed in a specific file.

Navigate to your VW applications folder to the following sub-folder:

Vectorworks 2011 > Plug-Ins > Common > Data

... and COPY* the 'ID_Symbols.vwx'** file into the same location in your User Folder (User > Library > Application Support > Vectorworks > 2011 > Plug-Ins > Common > Data***)

* The reason we copy them is to not affect the VW default factory settings in the application folder.

** This file is where VW looks to place labels when the 'ID Label' tool is utilized.

*** The last 3 sub-folders MAY need to be created.

Open the (copied) ID_Symbols.vwx file, and you should find the default VW tags (symbols) located here on a 1:1 scale* design layer. Create your 2D geometry for the label and convert it to a symbol (let's name the symbol A_T1). You can use any method to create your geometry EXCEPT circles, arcs, grouped objects, or other symbols.

*Your custom label MUST be created at a 1:1 scale design layer for proper scaling and use.

Use the 'Resource Browser' to locate the newly created and edit it. Ensure nothing is selected (click in empty area if necessary), and under the 'Data' tab of the OIP, activate the 'TagSchema' record format. For the 'TagType' field, enter the EXACT name of your custom record format (this will be 'A_TEST' in our case). In the 'TagSpec' field, enter the EXACT name of the field from your custom Record Format, that you wish to show up. Still in the symbol, create a text box with any random text that is formatted to your likings. Select this text box and go through the process of linking this text to record (Tools > Records > Link Text to Record). In the 'TagSchema' record format scroll down and select 'TagText' to link the text to. To ensure it has worked, with nothing selected, type random text into the same field in the 'Data' tab. It should now appear in the text box created. Do not delete this random text and exit the symbol. Save the file, and run the script 'Output_ID_Prefs' which should be hovering over your window, or locate it in your resource browser.

Now, to the file where you wish to use the ID tool...

Ensure that your custom record format ('A_TEST' in our case) is located in the file you wish to use. Activate the tool, and firstly select the point you wish the label to be (initially), then click on the object for your second click. A dialog box would open where you can select the required ID Type (A_TEST), and ID Style (A_T1)* and fill in the appropriate fields and options if necessary. Click 'OK' and you should have achieved the result you were looking for (hopefully). If this is attempted on an object that does not have a record attached to it, the record will also now be linked to the object.

* You can have many different styles of labels (symbols) that pick up the same Record Format.

This SHOULD cover your issue, but if you require further info,you know where to contact me!

Enjoy...