Creating new instruments

Jackalope

I can not find a symbol for the wybron nexera fixture in the wybron folder, nor can I find it on the Internet anywhere either. Sooo I tried to create one from scratch. I have the created the new symbol, and I can convert the symbol to an instrument, but I can't seem to get the new fixture into the resource browser... i.e I select my nexera symbol, paste it and it still sees it as a regular symbol (no lighting info).

I'm using 2011

Edited by Jackalope
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi

You need to also run Convert to Instrument under the Spotlight menu. This will attach the relevant records that allow Spotlight to recognise this as an instrument as well as a symbol. There's actually a good section on this in Vectorworks Help if you look up Creating a Lighting Instrument and Lighting Instrument Specification... particularly if you are interested in having your new symbol rotate and focus correctly in 3D.

Hope that gets you started!

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried to do that. I'll try to explain the process and maybe figure out what I missed.

1. I created drawing of the instrument

2. I converted it to a symbol

3. I selected the symbol and opened the spotlight menu , from there I went Object Conversion to convert to instrument.

This worked as expected, my new symbol was now a fixture but...

4. When I double click on my symbol in the resource browser and then click into my drawing, the symbol is placed as expected, but... this instance is not an instrument.

Somehow I am missing a step(s) to make the conversion effect the global template that is the nexera symbol.

Does this help at all?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hmm - what do you mean by the global template? Do you mean that if you export this symbol into another file it doesn't work as expected? Or is it continuing to fail in the file where it was created?

If you double-click the symbol and then click the Inst Insertion tool on the Spotlight tool set, does it then work as expected? It's a workaround, but at least if it fails it may give us some further information about what's wrong...

Yes in the same file where it was create. I tried your suggestion and it does work! But if I simply double click in the browser and paste, it is only a symbol.

Thanks for the work around solution.

My next question is how do I change the data assigned to my new fixture? I.e both the nexera profile and the wash have photometric info from a 6" strand fresnel.

That only makes one instance of a symbol a lighting instrument.

To make a symbol know that it should insert as a lighting instrument:

1. Right click on the symbol in the resource browser.

2. Choose to edit the 2D part

3. Make sure nothing is selected. (ie. click on an empty space or hit XX)

4. In the OIP click on the data tab.

5. Click the box next to Light Info Record. (This assumes you already have a stock lighting instrument in the drawing. The Light Info Record is one of those things that comes along with the lighting instruments)

6. Enter the data in the 3rd (largest) box for each of the record fields named in the second box. Hitting Return from the 3rd box after entering data will cause the field in the second box to index down one. Or just click on a field name in the second box to make it active.

7. Exit the symbol.

Now every time you double click that symbol in the RB it will activate the Instrument Insertion tool and all the default data you entered will be present.

N.B.

1. Make sure that all the 3D objects in the lighting instrument symbol have the Default Instrument Texture - or some other texture that doesn't cast a shadow.

2. Its a good idea to have all the 2D geometry on the screen plane.

3. If you want the instrument to behave like other instruments in 2011 and orientate itself to the focus point, then:

Use groups or solid additions to make sure there are only 4 objects in the 3D part of the symbol (2011 does NOT like NURBS curves or 3D polygons in the 3D part of a spotlight instrument symbol - stick with regular 3D geometry):

_______1. Clamp

_______2. Yolk

_______3. Body

_______4. 3D Locus

The center of the clamp should be at 0,0,0. The 3D locus should be in the center of the body at the pivot point. (When rendering the light will originate at the 3D locus. When orientating the instrument the body will tilt around the 3D.)

Point the body of the instrument straight down.

Attach the record format "Parts" to the clamp, yolk, and body in the 3D part of the symbol. Select the clamp, click the data tab on the OIP and change the Clamp field to True. Repeat for yolk and clamp.

hth

mk