Combining Templates or importing hatches & classes

Does anyone know if it is possible to combine templates? We have three in our office, one for a the cover sheet, oner for details and one for plans, elevations, et al.

I would like like to combine all three so that I get one file that has all the classes, hatches and title blocks of each without having to import them all.

If that isn't possible, does anyone know how I can "batch import" classes from one file to another?

Thanks!

Charles

Thanks, I see that now. Hit "New" and it give you the option. Some kind of 'file merge' Would be better, but that won't take too much time that way. Much appreciated. Now if only we could do that for viewports!

And BTW, I have watched some of your videos on YouTube. Thank you very much for those, you provide a very significant service to the VW community. We are in your debt.

Kind Regards,

Charles

Edited by CharlesJ

Ahh, this is where I was confused, he stated use the Resource Browser to import resources. I thought he then was saying that there was a New Class, New Design Layer and New Sheet Layer, in the resource browser. Now it makes sense. my bad!

Thanks guys for the clarification, I should make sure I am completely awake before I read a post.

Thanks, I see that now. Hit "New" and it give you the option. Some kind of 'file merge' Would be better, but that won't take too much time that way. Much appreciated. Now if only we could do that for viewports!

Kind Regards,

Charles

Hi Charles,

Once you have imported the layers and classes, you could cut and paste viewports from one file to another.

VectorGeek

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VW12.5.3, 2010, 2011, depending on the moon phase

Mac OS 10.6.6, iMac 27", 8GB

Vast collection of Pez dispensers

• 2 weeks later...
Once you have imported the layers and classes, you could cut and paste viewports from one file to another.

You can't simply copy/paste Viewports across files (alert with error), but there is a trick: group them, then copy and paste them. Then remember to give them a name, because they are unnamed after this process, which isn't a good thing.

This is valid for Sheet Layer Viewports.

orso

You can't simply copy/paste Viewports across files (alert with error), but there is a trick: group them, then copy and paste them. Then remember to give them a name, because they are unnamed after this process, which isn't a good thing.

This is valid for Sheet Layer Viewports.

orso

Thanks orso (I forgot to mention that part of the method). Also, when you use this procedure, the links to the source layers are gone. No fear, just use the Eyedropper Tool and pick up/put down attributes (including Viewport Attributes). Works like a charm and has personally saved me many hours.

V-G

One caution, I have run into file corruption issues when COPY/PASTE is used extensively between files. I would suggest caution and either create Symbols & Import these through the Resource Browser - I know, this does not work for Viewports, but does for the information within the Viewport or Workgroup Referencing. Referencing is ALWAYS a far safer bet than COPY/PASTE between files.